EPDM flashing on pitched roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm planning to replace the concrete tiles on my pitched porch roof with clay tiles and can see the lead flashing is split in a couple of place. I was looking at the replacement cost and came across EPDM lead alternative. Does it work for pitched roofs? It looks like it's easier to handle but I'm wondering if it's the right choice for an old house. It will be facing the road so I don't want it to look shabby or out of place. Any thoughts? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hello

I'm planning to replace the concrete tiles on my pitched porch roof with clay tiles and can see the lead flashing is split in a couple of place. I was looking at the replacement cost and came across EPDM lead alternative. Does it work for pitched roofs? It looks like it's easier to handle but I'm wondering if it's the right choice for an old house. It will be facing the road so I don't want it to look shabby or out of place. Any thoughts? Thanks

Are we talking plain tiles?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I can get a better one tomorrow.
Porch.jpg

If they're 400 centres that run of lead might be too long, encouraging it to split with thermal expansion/contraction

I don't personally think Leadax et al look out of place but I'd caution that they do bend fairly easily - you use them in code 4 locations but they bend like code 3, so if you get strong winds you may find it picks the EPDM up. That can be mitigated by having a straight hook at tile level placed to keep the lower lip from lifting..

If you're OK with keeping/reshaping/renovating the existing lead it may just be a case of tucking a soaker under the split part

Thanks. I thought I’d have to replace all the lead but I’ll see if a repair will suffice.

I’ve read that vinegar or lemon will clean up lead before using patination oil. I’ve already got 30% vinegar but it’s never been the miracle product I was hoping for, do you know if it’s likely to be a waste of time on lead?

Nothing to lose by trying it; I've found that mechanical abrasives like a green pan scrubber, wire wool or sanding sponge also bring lead up to a bright shine that can then be oiled to encourage the typical grey patina. Commercial limescale removers also work on the white staining/surface patine (lead carbonate) - they're typically a weak acid

If you're after a stronger acid, give brick cleaner a go (but bear in mind that not all are acid based for safety reasons)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back