EPDM vs metal insulated panel roof - rain noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're getting a garden room built and I'm looking at the different roof options. We can either have EPDM roof on OSB with insulation below or 100mm Kingspan insulated metal panels. I much prefer the look of the metal roof but I'm curious as to whether it would increase the noise from rain compared to an EPDM roof? We are having the ceiling plastered so there will be an extra layer of material under the panels on the inside.

Anyone have an experience with both in terms of rain noise?

Sponsored Links
Never known anyone concerned about rain noise , how do you plan to cope with bird song?

Rain noise can be significant falling on a flat roof and sometimes quite impactful for prolonged periods of time, it doesn't compare at all to birdsong which is a completely different kind of noise. I would expect the noise on a metal roof to be greater but not significantly greater than epdm. That said I'm not sure I would be swayed by the possible increase in noise, rainfall kinda sounds like white noise after a while with me and sometimes when I want to concentrate on things I listen to plane apps which is pretty much white noise.

Yeh it’s a known issue with flat roofs and the specific reason for my concern is we will be using the room as an office and I’m worried about rain noise interrupting important calls. I found this product which I’m think may help to dampen the sound - https://soundstop.co.uk/products/tecsound-sy50?_pos=2&_sid=8773104d1&_ss=r

I’m just not a fan of how EPDM roofs look, the insulated panels look much better so I just wanted to see if anyone had been through the same process and experienced how impactful the rain noise is on the insulated panel roof.

Sponsored Links
You can get plant on seams for epdm rooves so they mimic standing seam rooves, they look OK IMO.

eg

dartmouth-sseam-1-rotated.jpg

100 mm insulated panels are not bad at all.
Long ago we were involved in tricky detailing at Heathrow airport..
It was 100mm metal panels
It did rain while we were there and I would not say it was noisy. .
Un insulated then it will be .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back