Eroding brickwork above bathroom window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please see attachments, I am seeking advice on the kind of job and amount of work involved, e.g. large, medium, small job, I need to specify and best options for repairing this window frame, for instance, is it a simple matter of chasing out the damaged brickwork and replacing with new bricks or something else like installing lintel?

Thanks
20240716_162647.jpg

Attachments

• bathroom-window.JPG
    bathroom-window.JPG
    340.8 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links
It looks like infill - i.e. the window fitters couldn't be arsed with the arch, so they slapped some bricks up there instead. It may look better if the masonry was removed and replaced with a similar (window) coloured infill cap, backed up with a membrane detail and insulation.

It looks quite old, it was probably originally built on top of a wooden frame, which would have been capable of supporting it. Then someone's blindly replaced wood with plastic, with a gap above, so it was clinging to the edges and resting on nothing, and there you go.

A new window frame with an arched top would be a more expensive but much nicer solution, depending on how much interior work would result and how visible it is externally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back