Essex Flange

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Never fitted one before but the instructions look to be fairly straight forward if not a little fiddly. All the information I’ve seen show the flange installed in the tank with an upward curving, 22mm pipe stub inside & towards the centre of the HW cylinder; presumable to draw water from as near the top & hottest part of the cylinder as possible.

Having played around with the bits before attempting to install, I can’t fathom how it’s possible to get the curved pipe through the flange & inside the tank! The pipe is such a close fit on the internal bore of the flange, it’s impossible to pass a curved pipe through the flange body from the outside once it’s fitted &, because of the method of assembly, using bits of wire, I can’t see how you could fit the flange with a curved pipe already inserted into the flange body. Can anyone whose done this before advise? Am I missing something? Is it normal to install the flange with just a straight length of pipe?

Sponsored Links
Fitted one before bit fiddly u use the washer with the cut in the side this then feeds into the rear of the cylinder wall dont let go of the wire, just take your time all will go well

Fitted one before bit fiddly u use the washer with the cut in the side this then feeds into the rear of the cylinder wall dont let go of the wire, just take your time all will go well
I understand & am happy about fitting the flange to the cylinder but I don't see how it's possible to get the internal curved pipe in from the outside; did you fit one to the flange you used?

i thought that on the the first one i fitted, but u push the cut edge of the washer into the wall of the cylinder with the stem in place, it wrks ok try on a piece of thick card first with a hole in make u use the corrct hole cutter though.

Sponsored Links
i thought that on the the first one i fitted, but u push the cut edge of the washer into the wall of the cylinder with the stem in place, it wrks ok try on a piece of thick card first with a hole in make u use the corrct hole cutter though.
Thanks for your responses but you are completely missing the point of my question. I COMPLETELY understand about how to install the flange & backing washer etc; it’s the curved pipe that is then supposed to be installed through the flange & up inside the cylinder that I’m talking about; have a look at figure 6 “Essex Flange Installatiom - Item 1” on this link & you will then understand what I’m talking about;

http://www.techflow.co.uk/tech-tp60.html

Anyone else out there that can help?

sorry never installed one like that but it looks like a good idea, why not put the formed tube into the flange then place in hole, looks like a good way to hold the flange to stop it falling inside the cylinder better than a piece of wire. the last one i did went staigh into the tank worked a treat & stopped intermittent starting but the curved pipe looks even better.

DOne several and don't see the problem. Just put the pipe through the brass part from the other side first. Do it up and you have something to hold :confused:

DOne several and don't see the problem. Just put the pipe through the brass part from the other side first. Do it up and you have something to hold :confused:
Hmmm looks like I've been a bit thick here :oops: ; so it’s simple really then, just stick the curved pipe into the flange from the other side, feed the lot into the cylinder, twirl on the split backing washer & rubber gasket whilst hanging onto the other the end of the pipe & then fit the outer gasket & clamp nut without even using the modified coat hanger that comes with the flange?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back