EV charger but Extra Low Voltage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm thinking of wall mounting a plug-in ebike charger indoors and feeding the 60V DC cable through to the outside next to the driveway. The tethered cable would be kept dry in a wall-box and I'd lock the bike to a wall loop while charging as it's next to the street. Then I thought, it's only 120W or next to nothing when idle, why not have a poster inviting anyone riding the same brand to help themselves.

The charger's earthed rather than double insulated and only the DC cable would be accessible outside. What precautions would be expected of me to keep the public safe and avoid taking on liability? A dedicated circuit and RCD? Regular testing required?

TIA.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
My e-bike is 48 volt, wife's is 36 volt, and I don't have a clue to if the charge control is in the bike or the charger, but seems likely the charger, so only an e-bike with same size battery could be charged, voltage, AH rating, and type, some early bikes were even lead acid, so a great idea, but not really practicable.

I have taken my battery into the railway station to charge (I do volunteer there) it means carrying the charger, but that is really the only way to be sure charger matched to battery.

Also charge rate is low, theroy a battery can be charged in 1.5 hours, but in practice it is far longer, so sitting in a cafe while it charges is one thing, but standing in the street is not really an option. To fully charge around 6 hours, so I would resort to pedal power.

You cannot avoid taking on liability. If something goes wrong you'd probably be liable. You have to take all reasonable steps that a provider of such a service would be expected to take to ensure that it is done safely, and then you should insure yourself against any subsequent liability that may be determined by the courts if something goes wrong. You should probably think again.

The symbol to show output of transformer is isolated is 1725089396775.pngif the transformer shows this then no real problem. But just can't see the point, as unlike cars the e-bike has no standard so only way others could use the charging point is if a 13 amp mains socket was provided.

Sponsored Links
"all reasonable steps that a provider of such a service would be expected to take"

Leaving aside liability for a moment this is what I'm asking.

The charger satisfies SELV characteristics and only the DC side would be outdoors, but it doesn't carry the symbol above or 'SELV' (although it is double wound and tolerates lasting short circuit). Would feeding it from a marked isolating transformer be seen by most as ample attention to keeping the public safe? Or installation by a registered EV supply installer?

I'm trying to understand the hurdles individually. Compatability and desirability are a separate issue (and less of a problem, partly because it's a fast charger for a specific brand near a park and fishing).

Last edited:
Well if you let someone use it for certain limited uses then it`s up to you - That is leaving aside liabillity.
If you have an external mains socket you could let them use that too.

So only liability left to consider now - so not leaving liability aside this time, would you do either the mains socket or a bike charger socket for other folks to use?
I certainly would not.
How do you ensure it remains safe? Do you check it every hour? or every minute? see it has not been damaged and such.
What do you do if you go on holiday for a fortnight etc, do you get someone to baby sit it?
It would still cost a fortune to insure.
If someone trespasses onto your property and uses it without consent then you might have some protection if you you find yourself "gripping the rail" before a bloke in a wig

Some of the fires have cause in all the manufacturers using the same connectors for chargers and batteries but having varying voltage requirements.
Someone uses the wrong charger shoving too high a voltage into their pack and it's bad news, I wouldn't have a bargepole long enough.

Liability kills it then as a personal thing and thanks all for those details.

The local pub has patio heaters and mains sockets for laptops or whatever so I guess their insurance permits those. They might be willing to host this charger permanently fitted with only the DC exposed - what conditions do business insurers typically impose regarding electrics?

Fires and compatability I'm well aware of, this is for a specific brand with its own socket and common charging across all models. I'd welcome some input about safe and appropriate electrical installation of such a thing, even if it turns out to be impractical for other reasons.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back