EV Charging from a 13A Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read previous posts under similar headings which refer to 'mythical EV sockets' but no-one seems to have seen them. So here goes on my particular issue:
I have just bought a plug in hybrid car (PHEV) which has a 15.6kWh battery as well as a petrol engine, with an electric range of about 40 miles. I expect to cover not more than 6,000 miles total a year of which (given the limited electric range) probably 3,000 miles at most might be electric. Fitting a full wall box charger (at a cost of £1,000 to £1,200) really doesn't seem worth it, when I will probably be charging 80-90% of 15.6kWh perhaps twice a week.
My house was built 1997 with pretty conventional electrics. A second CU has been 'Henleyed in' to serve a new kitchen which has left spare ways in the non-RCD side of the original CU (which is half RCD/half non RCD). The only connection left on the non RCD side is the burglar alarm. I was proposing to run in a new cable from an existing B32 MCB (could be changed to B20?) on the non RCD side of the CU to one of the mythical EV sockets fitted externally, specifically this one:

Masterplug EVH132S1SPA-MP EV Mode 2 Wall Charger With A Type DP RCBO​

I recognise that a wall box charger would give me much faster charging but that's not an issue with a PHEV. I will have this car for at least 4 years after which I suspect I will go full electric when a wall box will become a necessity. So why not install it now? I am concerned that technology will have changed such that I will then need a new type of wall box/plug/cable.

So can I do this? Grateful for comments on practicality, legality and safety.

Sponsored Links
Masterplug EVH132S1SPA-MP EV Mode 2 Wall Charger With A Type DP RCBO
Don't buy that.
It's basically a cheapo outdoor socket of the type that's usually £10 or less, with an RCBO shoved next to it, and the price doubled for extra profits.

I was proposing to run in a new cable from an existing B32 MCB (could be changed to B20?) on the non RCD side of the CU
Far better would be a Type A RCBO in that consumer unit and a 6mm² cable to a conventional outdoor socket.

The problem is loss of PEN protection. If on a TT supply then no problems. It is the TN earthing which is a problem, although TN-S is OK we can never be sure the supply is TN-S so many are TN-C-S.

Some reading about broken PEN the other problem is DC on the AC supply, many granny chargers (name for 13 amp chargers) have the 6 mA DC protection built in, but not all.

The idea of the 13 amp charger is with for example my own house, a visitor like my grand daughter and plug into my 13 amp garden supply while visiting here granny. The loss of PEN is quite rare, but it seems to be going up each year, as the loads on our old system are increasing, so the likely hood of loss of PEN at same time as visiting granny is low. But every day clearly the chances rise.

There is also the off peak supply, I have an off peak from British Gas who don't seem to worry if I have an EV or not, but Octopus want the serial number of charger and car to give you their EV off peak supply. With a proper EV charging unit, they can turn the unit on/off remotely so can offer some cheap charging during the day, and an extended time at night, my BG supply is for only 5 hours, which is enough to recharge my solar panel batteries, but on the edge to charge an EV.

So to start with what is your supply type? Is it TT (uses an earth rod) or TN, note mine is TN but still have an earth rod for when power fails, so earth rod not always a good indication of which type, however the last EICR or EIC should say what supply type you have.

Sponsored Links
So to start with what is your supply type? Is it TT (uses an earth rod) or TN, note mine is TN but still have an earth rod for when power fails, so earth rod not always a good indication of which type, however the last EICR or EIC should say what supply type you have.
According to the minor works certificate for some recent electrical work, it is TN-C-S.
P.S. type of RCD matters, in the main an EV charger is not supplied from same RCD as other things, and the RCD has to be bi-directional and at least type A.
So replacing the MCB in the non RCD CU with an RCBO would serve?

Don't buy that.
It's basically a cheapo outdoor socket of the type that's usually £10 or less, with an RCBO shoved next to it, and the price doubled for extra profits.

Far better would be a Type A RCBO in that consumer unit and a 6mm² cable to a conventional outdoor socket.
I take the point re the socket and RCBO; i thought it was a bit pricey.

Interested as to why you suggest 6mm2 cable. The charger (which is actually part of the car) is limited to 10A specifically to protect a 13A socket so is 2.5mm2 not enough? Or is the charging time (say 5hrs continuous) a factor?

No doubt you have a plan to mount this Masterplug outlet within reach of the parked PHEV.
I have two in my garden. They are superior to cheaper outlets in that they are unswiched (the switch is a weak point) and the switching is done by the robust RCBO.
I think your plan is ideal, but getting cheap overnight charging is also important.
I have an EV tariff (EON Next Drive Fixed V3) that charges at 6.5p/kWh from midnight 'till 0700.
You must have a smart meter to qualify for this tariff.
You may be able to program your car to charge between midnight and 0700 hrs. I use Tapo smart plugs.
We are also using the washing machine and tumble dryer overnight

No doubt you have a plan to mount this Masterplug outlet within reach of the parked PHEV.
I have two in my garden. They are superior to cheaper outlets in that they are unswiched (the switch is a weak point) and the switching is done by the robust RCBO.
I think your plan is ideal, but getting cheap overnight charging is also important.
I have an EV tariff (EON Next Drive Fixed V3) that charges at 6.5p/kWh from midnight 'till 0700.
You must have a smart meter to qualify for this tariff.
You may be able to program your car to charge between midnight and 0700 hrs. I use Tapo smart plugs.
We are also using the washing machine and tumble dryer overnight
Yes exactly the plan. Although in deference to Flameport's comments on the Masterplug socket, I might use something different such as an MK Masterseal Plus unswitched socket or even a timer fitted version with a Type A 20A RCBO at the CU. Cost actually not much different - the Masterplug unit about £50, the Masterseal Plus and RCBO about £44 (TLC prices incl VAT). One issue is a unit capable of closing securely over the heavy lead of the charging cable,

I am currently on EON and have looked at the EV tariff; I have a smart meter so should be OK. I am told that Octopus may be cheaper but was a bit concerned by ericmark's comment above that Octopus require 'the serial no of the charger and car' before granting the EV tariff. I need to have a look, recognising that the wall box is simply a (secure) power supply, not a charger; the charger is built into the car.

Why? Does a 'full EV' have to be parked somewhere else?
No, but the wall box would. There is room on the front of the garage for a socket but not for a wall box and a coiled tethered lead. It would have to go on the side.
How else would it be connected?
I may be wrong but I understand they are cabled directly from the meter box?

Only by incompetent bandwagon types who exist only as long as slinging in the latest piece is profitable.
Then they disappear, leaving their shoddy installations for someone else to fix.
Now I am confused. Do you include Octopus Energy under this category? Quote:

Your new EV charger will be connected directly to your electricity meter​

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back