Everbuild 195 siliconised acrylic sealant for sealing basin area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a downstairs cloakroom. After fitting the tiles and grouting them I have used a siliconised acrylic sealant, Everbuild 195, on the bottom of the tiles that join to the wood. I did this so I could easily remove the wood hiding the cistern cover should I ever need to instead of battling with grout and potentially messing up the polished oak.
I have just come to wash it off and realised that it is water based. I’ve never used this product or heard of a siliconised acrylic caulk. Will this be up to the task of resisting water overspill from the basin? Should I have used regular silicone and how to their compare when sealing edges up like this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 19
Sponsored Links
If you read them data sheet online it will tell you.

I've just had a quick look and it says.
Don't use around shower trays. Use silicone.

Also under uses it don't mention sinks or tiles

Hmm, I just looked for what you said and see what you mean. On the tube it says you can use on ceramic tiles though, which is what they are. If it shouldn’t be used around water I’m not sure how they think it can be used externally. It also says you shouldn’t use in continual submersion, implying that it’s fine for submersion some of them time…yet can’t be used on shower trays. It also says protect from water for 12 hours, again, suggesting that contact with water after 12 hours is ok.
One of the lines on the tube sates ‘easier to apply than silicone’, implying that its use is comparable to silicone otherwise what is the point in comparing it to silicone? It’s also easier to apply than bitumen paint but that is for a different use so wouldn’t expect it to make that comparison,
The terms siliconised and sealant is what made me think it was suitable, until I realised it wasn’t actually silicone.

I might give them a call in the morning and ask what the crack is.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I phoned their technical team who suggested that silicone sealant would be better but the acrylic sealant would stand up to the odd splashing from around a basin. In hindsight a proper silicone sealant would have been better but this does have anti mould properties and should stop water penetrating so in essence it’ll do the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back