Expansion vessel & pressure gauge orientation and fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’ve tried to search and the advice for fitting an additional expansion vessel to a combi boiler seems that it generally goes near the boiler on the return side and it doesn’t really matter which way up it goes. Putting it with the connection upwards means air doesn’t get trapped in it, but sediment might and vice versa for the other way up. Although air may get absorbed by the water over time as long as it can’t regularly get in there and in any case putting it below the existing pipework is a good idea to minimise convected heat loss. Does this sound right?

I want to fit a pressure gauge as the Vaillant EcoTec has a digital gauge that doesn’t seem very good, it sits at 0.2 – 0.3 bar when the system is drained and open to the atmosphere and also goes up by 0.2 ish bar when the pump starts (ok, perhaps that's normal). You also have to open the front and go through the menu to see the pressure, so I’d rather have a nice simple analogue gauge that I can just glance at if I want to.

Does anyone know if it’s ok to put this on the return pipework feeding the EV, or should it go in the flow please?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back