Exposed truss roof: can I remove diagonal braces and replace them with full OSB boards? (PICS INSIDE)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an disused outbuilding (approx 10m x 3m) which I'd like to turn into something useful like a workshop/office/gym/etc. The building has a truss roof and currently there is no internal ceiling i.e. the trusses are all exposed.

I could put a regular flat ceiling in, but the height would be pretty low and it would make the place feel cramped and boxy. So ideally I would like to leave the trusses exposed as a feature and fit plasterboard around them to create a vaulted ceiling effect.

However, currently the trusses are strapped together (as they should be) with diagonal and longitudinal braces like this:

trusses1.png

These braces would obviously get in the way of any attempts to create a nice vaulted ceiling, and they are very ugly to boot.

My question is: is it structurally safe to remove the braces if they are replaced by another rigid frame between the trusses?

Could I add sheets of OSB (or even regular framing timbers) between the trusses? Would this be enough to keep them rigid without the braces?

trusses2.png

This is the kind of exposed truss effect I'm going for btw:

proxy-image.jpg

Sponsored Links
I thought you could fit boards on the outside then batten and tile
No need for strapping on inside then.
Maybe. Not my area but I remember we couldn't as it would not lineup with neighbours roof

Maybe. Not my area but I remember we couldn't as it would not lineup with neighbours roof
That's the way it's done in the USA. When trussed rafters started being used here they didn't realise the problem with racking without the boards. Early roofs didn't have the diagonal bracing.

That's the way it's done in the USA. When trussed rafters started being used here they didn't realise the problem with racking without the boards. Early roofs didn't have the diagonal bracing.
My roof is [unfortunately?] in great condition so I can't realistically take that approach. Or at least it would be a huge amount of work if I did. Glad to know that boards are a structurally sound way to brace a roof though.

Edit: just found a relevant section in the NHBC standards:
  • diagonal and longitudinal bracing should be provided at rafter level (this may be omitted where rigid sarking boards are used, e.g. chipboard, plywood or OSB, which are fixed to each trussed rafter with 3mm x 50mm galvanised round wire nails at 200mm spacing)

So it looks like OSB can be used instead of bracing, although presumably they would normally be fitted on the outside face of the trusses as per the discussion above. In my case, i.e. with an existing roof, I guess I'd have to find an equally strong way of securing boards between the trusses internally on the side faces of each truss, i.e. here:

1726610286757.png

Angle iron? Angle brackets? Some kind of channel fixing?

I'll consult a structural engineer if I decide to go ahead.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The concept is sound, but I doubt OSB can self support 1200mm
Thanks woody, I've seen your replies on lots of similar threads before.

I wondered if I'd get away with self-supporting spans of OSB because it won't be under any real load since it's not supporting roof tiles etc. but you're probably right in that it's too much of a distance.

Instead of OSB could I use framing timbers beween the trusses to provide rigidity and then fix the plasterboard ceiling directly to those?

A roofer told me that the bracing is only needed during construction. Once the roof is smothered with battens, and especially if there are gable walls, it can't go anywhere.

A roofer told me that the bracing is only needed during construction. Once the roof is smothered with battens, and especially if there are gable walls, it can't go anywhere.
No. There are many system builds from the 60s and 70s with no bracing and the whole roof moves sideways, opening the tile spacing, increasing/reducing the verge projection and pushing the gable out of plumb.

Thanks woody, I've seen your replies on lots of similar threads before.

I wondered if I'd get away with self-supporting spans of OSB because it won't be under any real load since it's not supporting roof tiles etc. but you're probably right in that it's too much of a distance.

Instead of OSB could I use framing timbers beween the trusses to provide rigidity and then fix the plasterboard ceiling directly to those?
It would be the same principle for the plasterboard you proposed - that would need support battens.

So perhaps if you fitted a suitable number of say 4x2s that would support the plasterboard, they would also deal with bracing the trusses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back