Exterior plywood doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had to repair some exterior french doors that were swelling at the bottom rail. I soon discovered that the doors are made out of plywood. I ended up gouging out 12+mm of material. Ideally, I would have removed more but didn't want to end up going all of the way through to the other side.

plydoor.jpg

I let it dry out for a few days. Then applied Tetrosyl wood hardener.

The following day I straightened the edges of the cuts and spliced in some 12mm ply using epoxy resin.

I have never come across ply exterior doors before. I am guessing that the silicone where the double glazed unit meets the softwood moulding failed and allowed water ingress.

Sponsored Links
Composite door made from wood and plastic?

Yeah, some of the trims are uPVC. The doors are are plywood (there is a metal weather bar that runs along the bottom- and probably prevented the door from falling apart, the door stops are timber, the interior part of the door frame is timber, but the rest is uPVC, eg. where the door frames meet the adjacent windows. And those sliding sash windows are solid timber, however, rather than putty/MS polymer to hold the double glazed unit in place, they have plastic lip in seals. Really odd, never come across that before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back