Exterior wall issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope someone can help. I have a wet area on the exterior wall of the house.

It is there every day. Dries a bit in the sun but will just come back or not dry properly etc if not a hot day. Same area every day. I have searched all the pipe work, looked under the flooring etc and can't find any leaks anywhere.

It's a cavity wall - so the exterior of the cavity. No insulation in the cavity wall.

It hasn't rained for about 2-3 weeks now and is still there. It doesn't come from the ground up.

Any help would be great.
20230610_222322.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is it coincidence that the damp patch is positioned next to a gully? A gully that appears to have a 40mm spigot inlet (sink waste?) entering into the back?

Hi,

That is a waste pipe as you say. I have had a look under the floor from a hatch area inside. The waste pipe doesn't seem to be leaking and looks well below the damp patch area.

The damp patch at the moment doesn't seem to go below the line is at at the moment.

As you have a suspended floor.... Is that a blocked up air vent to the left?

Wondering if it could just be damp/condensation.

Also the render should stop (ideally) 150mm above ground level and not below the DPC.

Sponsored Links
As you have a suspended floor.... Is that a blocked up air vent to the left?

Wondering if it could just be damp/condensation.

Also the render should stop (ideally) 150mm above ground level and not below the DPC.
Hi,

The air vent doesn't seem to be blocked. I can see through from the below the floor area and have checked outside tol. But can't see then through to the exterior (from below the suspended floor) to the cavity wall to see for the damp area.

I forgot i had this. This was it btw at the start of May after some rain overnight.
20230507_115741.jpg

Better pic, thanks.

Is there a weeping water pipe on the inside?
Is it cavity or solid brick wall?

Is there a joint in the gutter above the damp patch on the pebble dashing (could be dripping down)?

Better pic, thanks.

Is there a weeping water pipe on the inside?
Is it cavity or solid brick wall?

Is there a joint in the gutter above the damp patch on the pebble dashing (could be dripping down)?
Thanks again for the reply, appreciate your help.

I have checked as many pipes that I can see and there doesn't appear to be a leak anywhere. Pipes are internal in that area.(in the back of cupboards under sink).

They would appear to be cavity walls.

I did look at guttering etc but all seemed OK. Also, as I say the patch hasn't disappeared fully even during the really sunny couple of weeks recently with no rain.

I am assuming it is not rising damp given it's not fully at ground level?

This was this morning. Again, no rain for some time. Would it still be like this if it was damp? Second picture is last night around 6pm after day of sun in the back garden etc.
20230611_075911.jpg
20230610_175728.jpg

Is it my imagination or can you see the outline of a circle in the render just above the joint line and right in the centre of the damp patch. Was the waste outlet moved when it was rendered. Might be imagining it.

Is it my imagination or can you see the outline of a circle in the render just above the joint line and right in the centre of the damp patch. Was the waste outlet moved when it was rendered. Might be imagining it.
Hi, if you mean the brownish area just on the bottom of the render? That's dried stain that's dropped from painting soffits above.

I'd dig around the gully (easy & free) and have a good look, perhaps something not connected properly, perhaps full of gravel and partially blocked.

Rainwater might not be in same drain as your sink waste.

How far down does the render go?

I'd dig around the gully (easy & free) and have a good look, perhaps something not connected properly, perhaps full of gravel and partially blocked.

Rainwater might not be in same drain as your sink waste.

How far down does the render go?
Thanks. Would an issue with that drain cause the damp patch to be as high as that (sorry not massively knowledgeable of these things).

They've cemented around it - in other words, if you remove the stones you see, a few inches under is cemented areas.

Depends on what bricks you have down there. Engineering bricks don't absorb water like old bricks might do.

If you explored around the concrete around the drain, is the soil really wet (perhaps drain leak) or just normal dampness?

Perhaps take some photos of the inside if you can, the eagle-eyed amongst us may see something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back