External wall vertical crack below sill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am considering purchasing a mid terrace house in Greater London.

There is an apparent vertical crack running from the air vent to the window sill (but not through it). The crack has been patched up poorly. The floor brick work outside appears also to be buckled/tent-up.

To note there is a manhole cover in the front garden which may be causing an issue, I know they used to backfill these holes poorly when originally dug.

There is no other sign of cracking inside or outside of the property and I am wanting to understand how serious the crack is and potential implications.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice.

Attachments

• IMG_1315.jpg
    IMG_1315.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1320.jpg
    IMG_1320.jpg
    485.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 1.png
    Screenshot 1.png
    424.5 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
I am wanting to understand how serious the crack is and potential implications.
I'm afraid I can't say how serious the crack is, but I think I can say (although I could be wrong), something odd has been going on below the bay.

After a superficial look at the images, the brick sizes don't quite appear to match up each side of the crack - this isn't something that the Victorians would usually do on a principle facade!

odd.png

But on closer inspection, the black lines aren't the mortar lines between the bricks. They appear to have been applied on and painted afterwards, to tidy up the appearance - in some places, they don't even match up with the mortar lines!

Screenshot_20241015-225119_Chrome.jpg

Not necessarily bad, but very strange :unsure:

Last edited:
OP,
Given that you are paying out for a house in London - then forget about the crack & get on with the purchase
Wait for the mortgage surveyor's report but from what I can see & what you say then the crack is a nothing.

Sponsored Links
Looks like some historic and insignificant cracking which has been made to look worse than it should be by that crap repair effort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back