Externally beaded double glazing quandry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
The house we just moved into has double glazed windows that are in great condition, even though they are a few years old. Some of the DG units are misted so could do with replacing but the frames themselves are spot on.
Unfortunately the beading is external which is obviously more of a security risk. I got a quote to see what likely costs were for fitting a brand new DG window (2500mm x 1500mm) for the living room that came in at £1320 :oops: o_O so that's definitely looking like a saver upper. :LOL:
So, it got me wondering if there is any way of making externally beaded units more secure, of somehow changing things so it could be altered to internal beading or any other way forward that's not going to bankrupt me. :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't be unduly concerned, anyone removing the glazing is going to draw attention to themselves. Replace the misted glazing and save up for the new windows in the meantime.

Hi all,
The house we just moved into has double glazed windows that are in great condition, even though they are a few years old. Some of the DG units are misted so could do with replacing but the frames themselves are spot on.
Unfortunately the beading is external which is obviously more of a security risk. I got a quote to see what likely costs were for fitting a brand new DG window (2500mm x 1500mm) for the living room that came in at £1320 :oops: o_O so that's definitely looking like a saver upper. :LOL:
So, it got me wondering if there is any way of making externally beaded units more secure, of somehow changing things so it could be altered to internal beading or any other way forward that's not going to bankrupt me. :ROFLMAO:
I wouldnt worry that much, security is all about the weakest link and burglars who want to get in through windows are known to just pull off the frame trims hacksaw off the fittings and take the window out

or a jemmy through the handle side of a opening sash to force the upvc frame out

Also depending on the beading, often externally glazed windows have a rubber seal on the inside that has to be taken out, so the glass can be pushed inwards to let the beads be taken out.........I can tell you from experience trying to get the beads out with the internal seal still in place is seriously difficult

the way manufacturers make external beaded upvc frames secure in fairly recent manufacture, is to use double sided foam tape on the inside between glass and rebate as the glazing is pushed in -but I guess that will only work if the window is designed to have the space to do it or you need to fit thinner DG units to accommodate the difference.

Thanks Notch7 and Blup. That's put my mind to rest a lot. I'm going to have a cast around see if I can find a good replacement unit place to get some quotes from.

Sponsored Links
the way manufacturers make external beaded upvc frames secure in fairly recent manufacture, is to use double sided foam tape on the inside between glass and rebate as the glazing is pushed in -but I guess that will only work if the window is designed to have the space to do it or you need to fit thinner DG units to accommodate the difference.

My windows from 1997 had foam tape holding them. It took a guy outside up the ladder to catch the glass, and a guy inside putting all his weight on the glass (carefully) to remove the unit. I had no concerns after seeing that.

Surely the guy on the inside cut through the tape first before pushing it out?

Are you still NG postcode or DN, if NG then ring 'the window doctor care and repair service ltd', I'm not affiliated to them but I know of them and have excellent reviews, ask for Tom the internet sensation to attend

The Window Doctor Care & Repair Service Ltd
01455 850282

Are you still NG postcode or DN, if NG then ring 'the window doctor care and repair service ltd', I'm not affiliated to them but I know of them and have excellent reviews, ask for Tom the internet sensation to attend

The Window Doctor Care & Repair Service Ltd
01455 850282
It's DN but we come under Bassetlaw, which is Nottinghamshire council. I'll give em a ring in case they do cover our area. Many thanks Crank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back