Failed Karndean subfloor repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The Karndean flooring in my south-facing porch started coming up at the joints after about 5/6 years, and it turned out the subfloor had failed such that large chunks were no longer stuck to the (apparently primed, given the yellow colour) concrete underneath. I am debating whether to try and repair using the same tiles or rip the lot up and go with something different.

Either way, I need to repair the subfloor, but I'm left with bits that come up easily and bits that seem pretty firmly stuck still, e.g.:

1719766611500.png

What would you do?!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Good good! Always a pleasure to hear the professionals have done a quality job ... and reaffirm my preference for DIY.

How do I best fix it now?

Without seeing it I’d say you need to take it all up and remove as much of the compound as possible.

Does the floor have a damp proof membrane ? How old is it? Before 1980 ?

Sponsored Links
70s build. I don't know for sure about the porch but from other work elsewhere (e.g. garage) there seems to be some sort of see-through plastic membrane underneath the top layer.

That’s good. But free 25 years they perish.
But anyway.
You need to get as much up as possible. Then do a full coat of ardex NA / fball 1200 / or similar

That looks like you have moisture suppressant on it. But needs to be an epoxy one.

Thanks - really helpful. Arditex NA looks great, and even one of their pictures looks quite like my floor:

1719867242632.png

I've taken up more of the old tiles (and more of the old compound) tonight. Even what's left behind comes up relatively easily if you hit it in the right place. Annoyingly the skirting all needs to come off and there are pipes through it for a radiator too, all good fun.

It will be a bit of a job, but this advice is really helpful, so thank you again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back