Fastest way to nail joist hangers? (without using a nail gun)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

12 joist hangers down, 60 left to fix, for a total of 960 nails.

Nailing them in with a hammer is getting pretty laborious and takes a lot of time.

Is there anything, other than a nail gun, that I can use to speed up the process? Im using 35mm twist nails.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can get a hammer attachment for your SDS drill - not that I've tried them.

Yes building work is laborious, strangely enough. Hire a labourer.

Sponsored Links
960 nails?!? Don't even think about hand-hammering them!

I'd buy an economy brand nail gun, use it then flog it second-hand. This usually costs less than hire, you get to use a brand new tool and don't have the ticking clock of hire, you can take your time and do it right.

960 nails?!? Don't even think about hand-hammering them!

I'd buy an economy brand nail gun, use it then flog it second-hand. This usually costs less than hire, you get to use a brand new tool and don't have the ticking clock of hire, you can take your time and do it right.
I was going to do just this with a second hand nail gun from ebay. My only concern was access with the size of the gun. It is for decking in the garden that is only a little off the ground, maybe 1cm. The other thing was the delivery time. By the time it comes i could have largely finished. I was hoping there was something i could buy from a shed or amazon or something. Ive messaged a seller of a nail gun to see when he can get it to me.

3 seconds a nail? You could have done them all by post nr 3

If you think a heavy awkward nail gun is any better, quicker or less laborious - or even appropriate, then you need to check your thinking.

Just get on with it

Hi guys,

12 joist hangers down, 60 left to fix, for a total of 960 nails.

Nailing them in with a hammer is getting pretty laborious and takes a lot of time.

Is there anything, other than a nail gun, that I can use to speed up the process? Im using 35mm twist nails.

Thanks
palm nailer

Just buy a brand new one for £300, sell it used when done, people usually pay way too much for used power tools on ebay, often two thirds of new price. Or keep it for other things.

Spoonfeeding now...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back