Faulty Lighting PICS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been to a large manufacturing site and warehouse, the warehouse was built in the early eightees, and is generally very well constructed and wired, with many original features (sounds like a property show!).

Lighting in the warehouse is by 250watt son low bays (I say low bays, they are neither high nor low - somewhere in the middle! Quite an odd design actually, should have a got a pic). The low ways are attached to lighting trunking which is attached to the purlins. Every fitting has it's flex 'scotch-locked' onto the 2.5mm feeder, with the earth lugged to the trunking - neither ideal!

We have been asked to look at the issue with the old 3036 fuses blowing daily, leaving them with banks of lights out pretty much constantly, and rarely the same ones each day.....

Randomly picked one light fitting......

1305830607.jpg

Each one we came to was exactly the same!

Sponsored Links
Oops!! best get a few boxes of klik ceiling roses and loop in boxes on order then :LOL:

I'm loving the use of scotch blocks though :D

Well, we will certainly quote.......for 224 of them! Also quoting to swap out the old boards for new.

You can clearly see on many of these where they have shorted to the trunk. I reckon there could well be a few dodgy fittings causing problems too, but this needs sorting before you can do anything further. The flexes are like it over pretty much their whole length...

Is it just old flex, or is it the environment that has caused it to perish so badly? The PVC looks in pretty good condition.

Sponsored Links
I remember having a problem in a car factory where the mist of soluble oil was effecting the plastic. We could not use standard flame proof fittings as they rotted.

Maybe something in this factory was affecting the cables. If so you need to find out what to ensure new stuff does not go same way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back