FCU Switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do I need to fit a switch as well as an FCU for a roof extraction fan over a cooker or can I just wire The FCU direct as an on/off switch. :oops:

Sponsored Links
ibonaol said:
Do I need to fit a switch as well as an FCU for a roof extraction fan over a cooker or can I just wire The FCU direct as an on/off switch. :oops:
i just have a 13-amp plug on mine plugged into a socket

ibonaol said:
can I just wire The FCU direct as an on/off switch. :oops:

Yes, you can use a switched FCU as a means of isolation (i.e a switch :D ). What you do is use something like this as your switch.

CM2368.jpg

And then run a cable in the wall from the switched side (i.e. the output) to a "flex outlet plate" which is one of these:

CM2137.jpg

It may look like a blank plate, but there is a set of terminals inside, and there will be a hole for the flex to come out of (on the edge in this case, but you can get them where the flex comes out the front as well).

Sponsored Links
You should note, here I have assumed that you have the FCU at low level. If the FCU is high up the wall then you can run the cooker hood flex straight from the FCU. I wouldn't recommend having a low-level FCU with flex coming out, near a hob that could (would?) be a hazard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back