Featheredge cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to clad this with 150mm feather edge boards and saw a video online where they fit battens around doors and terminate the boards into this. It looked pretty neat. I could have this batten running over the hinges mounted on the plywood and going around the door frame.

I was wondering whether this will restrict the door opening and if this may be an issue. I’d appreciate your advice on this.

Attachments

• IMG_4504.jpeg
    IMG_4504.jpeg
    368.7 KB · Views: 23
Sponsored Links
depends on the thickness off your battons
open your doors fully and flat against the wall and measure the gap between ply and face off txg at the hinge i suspect perhaps 8-12mm this is the maximum before you restrict the opening angle but work on 2mm for expansion iff possible so a 10mm gap aim for say 8.5 to 9mm battons

for every 5mm you add to the batton thickness over gap size you will loose perhaps 10% off opening so 5mm perhaps 170%
but more important a strong wind and the hinge will be gone because off leverage so great care and restrictors

as an aside doors tend not to be recessed and face mounted to avoid the opening issue as in finnished cladding face where the hinge fixes too

Last edited:
The 150mm featheredge boards, once overlapped, are around 22mm thick. I was thinking of using 25mm battens to make it all look neater. I can see from the above that this will mean that the door can't swing all the way back but realistically, why and when will I need that, given that I have double doors and plenty of opening?

Also, I didn't think it was wise to mount the hinges on the featheredge as it's not a flat surface and I then need to worry about a gap at the top and bottom of the door.

I will also be using some roofing bolts to give extra strength and bond to the framework. Please let me know if I am overlooking something in this.

Thanks for all your help.

Sponsored Links
I was wondering whether this will restrict the door opening and if this may be an issue. I’d appreciate your advice on this
normally there will be 50 x 25 vertical battens put on the sheathing ply so there would be a 25mm air space behind the cladding.

The door opening are formed so the door frame is flush with the outer edges of the cladding.

If you just want to finish the structure you’ve got as it is (with no air gap), then take off doors, fit 50 x 25mm battens around the door openings, refit doors onto the battens and fit your feather edge.

Don’t cut the batten over the hinges, that looks naff

normally there will be 50 x 25 vertical battens put on the sheathing ply so there would be a 25mm air space behind the cladding.

The door opening are formed so the door frame is flush with the outer edges of the cladding.

If you just want to finish the structure you’ve got as it is (with no air gap), then take off doors, fit 50 x 25mm battens around the door openings, refit doors onto the battens and fit your feather edge.

Don’t cut the batten over the hinges, that looks naff
Love that suggestion. Thanks @Notch7.
A couple of things I am trying to think through. Presumably the 50 x 25 runs across top (and bottom?) of door too? How would the door stops work with this arrangement? My current door stops (38 x 18) are screwed in place.

Thanks again

Love that suggestion. Thanks @Notch7.
A couple of things I am trying to think through. Presumably the 50 x 25 runs across top (and bottom?) of door too? How would the door stops work with this arrangement? My current door stops (38 x 18) are screwed in place.

Thanks again
run the battens across the head and up the sides

usually at the bottom you would would finish to the external cill, but it seems you dont have one -Im assuming the doors are under cover and wont get any rain, so you can just run the batten across the bottom too

one thing to bear in mind is that I dont know what framing you have behind the plywood or what thickness ply it is -will there be a stud for the featheredge nails to go into

usually at the bottom you would would finish to the external cill, but it seems you dont have one -Im assuming the doors are under cover and wont get any rain, so you can just run the batten across the bottom too
I don't get much rain here as it's surrounded by the house walls on both sides but I do have a overhang on the roof and plan to fit one of those metal drips on the bottom of the doors. I will run the batten across the bottom too.
one thing to bear in mind is that I don't know what framing you have behind the plywood or what thickness ply it is -will there be a stud for the featheredge nails to go into

I've got studs every 40mm and plan to nail the featheredge to this. I have lined this with 5.5mm ply but I assume that is not relevant for fixing the featheredge boards
1726475884690.png

With this new arrangement of the hinges being mounted on these 50x25 timbers, I guess I need to have these exactly in line with the existing frame and then use spacers like I did previously for the expansion gaps. I used frame packers and will repeat this.

Can you please explain what I should do with the door stops that I currently have in place please?
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back