Fence height regs enforcement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to erect a boundary fence.

If I'm not mistaken I understand the maximum height for such a fence without planning permission is 2m in height.

However what I like to do is erect a 6ft fence with a 12 inch gravel board, this will take me over the 2m limit by 13cm!

If the council were to get wind of it, how likely would they demand I reduce the height to 2m?

Sponsored Links
Phone planning department. They will tell you.

Our area is 6 foot out back.
Foot out front

Sponsored Links
It depends, do not phone the council, complete waste of time. It's not unheard of for the planners to take enforcement action, happened round here albeit a fence next to the pavement. Nobody can tell you on here, you build your fence and takes your chances. Assuming this fence is on the boundary with your neighbour, do you get on with the neighbour, will it pee them off? Worst case scenario you have to lop a bit off the top.

Council will investigate a fence if requested (complaint) but they have better things to do and like everyone don't like petty behaviour.
They are happy to chat and advise though if you call.

i assume you are talking a rear/side fence behind the principal elevation [front face off the house]
otherwise its the 1m/[4ft if a historic old fence]

Just do it and see what happens. Unless you have beef with your neighbours or the fence backs onto a busy public area, I very much doubt anybody will notice or care.

You could just half bury the gravel boards? Will help keep next doors weeds out.

just place 2x6" gravel boards then remove 1 iff needed
is the fence in slotted concrete post if so that dictates the actual bottom level off the fence

I have concrete gravel boards, and mine are in a groove I dug in the ground, so slightly sunken, which keeps weeds and animals out.

In my case it also braces the posts against stormy winds which are an occasional problem. You ought to provide hedgehog highways though.

Mine originally had 5-foot panels giving a total height just under 6 foot, but the posts are higher enabling me to fit whatever takes my fancy, and I have replaced with boards when needed.

12 inch concrete gravel boards are quite heavy.

P.s.
My new fence is made of horizontal decking boards, which brace the posts together and are very durable. You can add ( or remove) the top board to make your fence a bit taller or shorter according to your whim. You might like to do that a few months after building it.

My fences are 12” concrete gravel boards, the side neighbour’s garden is 6” lower than mine.
then about a 5’ panel in concrete posts, leaving about 6” of post left.
arched trellis that’s 6” at the ends but closer to 12” at the crest.
Nobody’s complained.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back