Filling this void space underneath kitchen cabinet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
file.jpg

pipe.jpg

This old pipe is located behind my oven and goes through a space underneath a kitchen cabinet.

The cabinet always has a musty smell despite being regularly cleaned. Meanwhile the cabinet on the other side that doesn't have a pipe running underneath it has no smell.

I was wondering if I could fill the space underneath the cabinet with a filler to try to eliminate the unpleasant damp and musky smell. Or remove the old pipe and then fill the space.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That is a gas pipe that has been capped off. You need to get a Gas Safe engineer to move it.

Sponsored Links
Musty smell will be damp and/or lack of ventilation / air movement.

Damp from cold wall/floor and condensation or another reason. Water leak from an appliance. Damp bridge through a wall. etc.,.

That is a gas pipe that has been capped off.
Nope. It's a bayonet fitting for a gas appliance such as a cooker. It may be live, or not.

It does need investigating / checking by a competent person if it's not wanted before removal (and the OP is not renting the property when Landlord permission may be needed).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back