Finishing off Retaining Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I have a situation where my landscaper/builder started a retaining wall and then disappeared before he finished. It's nearly done so I wanted to have a go at finishing off myself and learning something new. The unfinished section is the last bit before it connects (or doesn't connect) to the house. See picture...

1000004508.jpg

I've read on this forum that tying into the house wall would be a bad idea? That drain is also in the way so I can't pour the same width footing as the rest of the wall. I also have been told that single block on end for retaining is not ok but I am where I am.

How would an expert approach this? Just pour footing up to the wall then leave a gap between the block and the house?

Any advice would really be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Just work around the drain pipe and dig down.
Is the house wall also retaining, and have appropriate dpc level? Render looks a bit low.

Yeah, just build it up close to the house wall but I’d probably use a wall starter fixed to house with vertical dpc and a bit of a gap and fill it with mastic, rather than having an air gap between them

Thanks and yeah sorry I wasn't specific, it's not a house but an attached garage. That wall is also retaining and there are wooden planks between the dirt and the render. I don't like it either. We're on almost pure chalk here though so water disappears into the ground very quickly.

I'm not sure how to fit a vertical dpc and a wall starter but I've read on these forums that you shouldn't tie a external retaining wall to a house wall as the external wall will move and shouldn't put stresses on the house wall?

Sponsored Links
Doesn’t look like it’s big enough for that to be a worry but you could have it totally separate.
A pier (on a wider footing) at the end to beef it up a bit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back