Fire door closers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have it in the back of my mind that closers are not now required on fire doors.

Can anybody confirm this and since when?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
not that i know.
how else can it be claimed to be a fire door if it aint shut?

It depends on the situation you're talking about.

Generally, fire doors do require a form of self closing device. However, in Part B and the guidance relating to loft conversions (typically three storey houses), a protected escape route is required from the third storey to a final exit and self-closers are "not" required to the existing fire doors as the majority of homeowners simply remove them or prop the doors open once the works have been signed off by a BCO.

On a similar note on which I've just touched upon. An escape window (e.g. velux/dormer) is now not a requirement for a loft conversion but an protected escape route is now the requirement, unless there's an alternative means of escape, etc...

I have it in the back of my mind that closers are not now required on fire doors.

Can anybody confirm this and since when?

Thanks

That's correct. Since Part B 2006. Except for fire doors between main house and integral garage - still required there.

Sponsored Links
Except when property is used for profit>I,E hotel/guest house. When all doors are required to be fire doors that will self close and latch in the case of yale locks, Doors also to be fitted with intumescent strips.

Also multi storey office buildings. Closers a must there.

Yeh... so it really depends in what situation/context the original poster is talking about :)

No I'm not confused at all now I have read Part B of the latest regs identified earlier!

For my project although fire doors are a must, closers aren't.

Now let's see if the BCO knows his regs and agrees with me when he does his final visit!

(What prompted this question was my chippy asking where the box of closers was to go with the fire doors.....)

Are you converting a loft in a three storey dwelling then?

The BCO will or should at least know that as it was quite a major change in Part B and if it wasn't for them telling me all that time ago, I probably wouldn't have realised it had changed... that as well as escape windows from the third floor.

Tipper, you worked it out anyway and you were right. You don't need closers. (except on a door to a garage) Full stop. BCO will know that.

Most of us knew you were talking about a house. All the stuff about commercial and offices etc is bollCocks, so just ignore it.

Are you converting a loft in a three storey dwelling then?

A bit of both really.

It's a 3 storey house which we are converting into 3 flats, one per floor, all with separate entrances. We are adding a dormer window in a part of the roof that drops to the middle floor. The new dormer window is at existing top floor level and not in the 'real' roof.

The property is built into the hillside on terraced levels hence separate entrances. The top floor appears to be a bungalow from one side and 3 storeys from the other! Therefore we need fire doors in the 'bungalow' ( ie top flat) because some of the rooms are 3 floors up!

BTW original PP back in the 60s was for a 'split level bungalow'....over 3 floors! That's stretching it a bit I feel. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back