Fire Regulation re hallway cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are in the process of planning a loft conversion. On the loft floor, there is a 4m long hallway that connects the staircase and the loft bedroom. The hallway is wide enough to have storage unit fitted to one side (we were going to install a sliding door kit like the picture below, though the space is not as deep as the picture shows and will not be a walk-in). We are planning to put washer, dryer and the system boiler's cylinder in the cupboard. Our builder has raised a question regarding fire control, as he thinks that building control may require the cupboard to be fireproof, as it faces an escape route. The builder also said that sometimes, some people put the washer and dryers in after building control visited, though we are a bit worried that it is inherently an insurance risk.

Is the builder correct? Does this requirement apply to any appliances, including the system boiler cylinder or just the washer and dryer?

Is there an easy way to meet the fire requirement? When looking at door supplier websites, most of the sliding door providers seem to say that sliding door kits cannot be fire rated, and i presume it is not as straight forward as having fire-rated MDF doors + standard sliding door kits?

1727531898546.png

If

Attachments

• 1727531172507.png
    1727531172507.png
    242.6 KB · Views: 2
Sponsored Links
The only time a closet needs a fire door is if there is someone in it who may want to come out at some time.

Tell your builder to book himself on a course.

Thanks. I see. The hallway is the only route out of the loft bedroom to the staircase, though. Does it change your view? I think the builder is not sure about the rules. He just said that at another project, this problem came up.

Sponsored Links
The regulations don't assume domestic appliances to be particularly dangerous - so wouldn't think you'd need protection from a self combusting washing machine in your corridor. I think a few years ago there was a thing with a particular brand of appliances bursting into flames but that seems to have fizzled out - or maybe not with Grenfell and the fridge freezer - but again the focus seems to be more on the spread of fire than the actual cause - could be more likely a Chinese phone charger plugged in a socket in the corridor than the washer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back