Fitting a ceiling light with 3 wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just wondering how I would wire this light please. Ceiling has 3 wires all with a red, black, yellow/green. The new light has one one blue, one brown, and one yellow/green

Attachments

• IMG_2387.jpeg
    IMG_2387.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2388.jpeg
    IMG_2388.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
Did you get a pic before removing the existing fitting?
One set of Red, Black and Earth is from the fusebox
One is to the next light
One is to the wall switch

Did you get a pic before removing the existing fitting?
One set of Red, Black and Earth is from the fusebox
One is to the next light
One is to the wall switch
Hi, I didn’t get any photos. Do you know would I need to do to find out which one is which?
Thank you!

You need to identify which cable is the switch wire,do you have a continuity tester or multimeter?

Sponsored Links
You need to identify which cable is the switch wire,do you have a continuity tester or multimeter?
I have just bought a multimeter. Do you know what I test and when I test it can I just turn the power back on and not touch the other wires while I test them or do I need to have them covered with something??
Thank you for helping!!

Turn all the power off and test between each red and black, the one that makes your multimeter beep when the switch is switched on is the switch wire, then connect as this..

Screenshot_20240704-201805_Chrome.jpg

Do you know how to do a continuity test with your multimeter? You must turn off the power before doing this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back