Fitting a wireless Hive Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to fit a Hive Wireless Thermostat to my Worcester Greenstar 34CDI GC number 47-406-36 Combi Boiler, possibly this model https://www.screwfix.com/p/hive-active-v3-wireless-heating-smart-thermostat-white-grey/702jk
My cousin is a qualified Electrician and says he can fit it but my wife contacted the installer and they said it's got to be done by a qualified gas fitter as you'll be breaking the seal.
Could a qualified tradesmen tell me who is correct. The installer would charge £320
Thanks
Graeme

Sponsored Links
My cousin is a qualified Electrician and says he can fit it but my wife contacted the installer and they said it's got to be done by a qualified gas fitter as you'll be breaking the seal.
Could a qualified tradesmen tell me who is correct.
I'm not a qualified tradesperson, but theoretically yes - removing the cover to get to the wiing connections on the Greenstar would disturb the room sealing of the boiler.
An RGI should check the boiler afterwards.
Do you have any existing external controls for the boiler?

Just found some other articles about the seal and carbon monoxide so will be getting a gas fitter to do the job, thanks for your answer

If you are replacing an existing room thermostat or programmer, it maybe possible to move the wires from the existing thermostat to the Hive. That way it's not necessary to open up the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Does a Worcester combi boiler front casing have a gas seal? I think not as there is a large air gap where the pipes feed into the base of the boiler. So why can't an electrician fit the thermostat wiring?

Does a Worcester combi boiler front casing have a gas seal? I think not as there is a large air gap where the pipes feed into the base of the boiler. So why can't an electrician fit the thermostat wiring?
The actual case seal is from about 1/3 up towards the top of the box but to get to the electrical connections the whole case front comes off, that compromises the room seal. Therefore it's is highly recommended that a GSR engineer is employed to do the work and check the seal and test afterwards.

£320 - hope that's supply and fit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back