Fitting an inset kitchen sink, use sealant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm going to fit an inset stainless steel kitchen sink. I have the clamps to clamp it to the work top but is there some kind of sealant I should be using around the edge to stop water getting through?

If so does it go around the edge after clamping it down, or should it go underneath before clamping down?

Any advice would be great.

Sponsored Links
Run a generous bead of silicon around edge of openning in worktop, fit and clamp sink in place, then clean excess off top. ensure lip of sink and worktop are sealed alround. ;)

Dry fit the sink to make sure there are no gaps - you'd be amazed at the number of sinks whose lips aren't flat. Next seal the raw cut edges of the worktop cutout with PVA to stop any future water getting into the chipboard and swelling it - a couple of coats & let it dry. Use clear silicon mastic under sink lipping then carefully lower into position, clamp-up. During the dry fit you should check that you've got access to the clamp screws especially the couple at the back. Wipe off excess silicon before it goes off with soapy water cloth

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back