Fitting internal bi fold doors to larger opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

The opening is approx 15cm larger than the door including the frame. The doors are top hung so will need to be secured to something strong.

My instinct is to get a piece of timber and screw it into the lintel above to secure it, then fit the door to that? I'm not sure if this is safe to do?

Alternatively does anyone know any good joiners/carpenters in Nottingham who could do this if you believe it's too complex for DIY?
1000037292.jpg

During renovation, it's a concrete lintel?
1000047219.jpg

Opening size

1000047207.jpg

Example from website

Sponsored Links
You could just build a solid timber framework packing inside the opening and then plasterboard over then plaster it so it was flush, then over paint, nothing more complicated than that.

As per Freddy
Build a timber frame in the recess that can be clad / sheathed in osb 11mm and finished in plasterboard if desired.

You could just build a solid timber framework packing inside the opening and then plasterboard over then plaster it so it was flush, then over paint, nothing more complicated than that.
Hi Freddy thanks for the reply, too be honest that was my initial thought, wood, plasterboard, plaster, paint to make it look like part of the wall.

Could you maybe expand on the timber framework? I have no issues screwing wood to surrounding brick work on the sides, but how do I fix the wood to the lintel?

Are you suggesting building a hollow timber box or would a single solid piece of wood be better? I was thinking using those large bolts recessed into the wood and into the lintel?

Sponsored Links
What kind of lintel is it? Steel or concrete or maybe timber? You need to find out, probably by making a hole in the plasterboard underneath the lintel, that all has to come out anyway.

What kind of lintel is it? Steel or concrete or maybe timber? You need to find out, probably by making a hole in the plasterboard underneath the lintel, that all has to come out anyway.
I think it's concrete but prior to us moving in there was a black decorative faux beam stuck to it with large nails so it's possible it could be wood.

No point speculating, I'll drill into it tomorrow and then go from there.

As per Freddy
Build a timber frame in the recess that can be clad / sheathed in osb 11mm and finished in plasterboard if desired.
Hi mate, could I screw some blocks into the corners then build the rest of the frame by screwing timber/OSB to the blocks to make a hollow box? Or would that not be strong enough?

I think I'm over thinking this, I just don't want to drill into the lintel and then the whole thing falls down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back