Fitting Magna Clean to 10+ year Boiler/Gravity System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Moved into a house 6 months ago and recently changed some towel radiators. Whilst doing so I noticed the water was black so added some system cleaner, drained and refilled adding inhibitor.

I was thinking about installing a magna clean to catch any remaining/future deposits?

a) - Is it still worth doing on a gravity fed system?
b) - Is it worth doing on a system that im guessing is at least 10 years old?

Sponsored Links
Hi, in my view it does not worth doing.
Firstly you will be for ever cleaning the filter if you fit it to an existing system unless you get it flushed.
Secondly you probably got an old boiler with large heat exchanger holes, they don't mind a bit of dirt.

If you fit a new boiler get your system flushed and add a filter, the newer heat exchangers have much smaller holes.

Yes it is, I fitted one to my 20 year old system and even though I drained and flushed it out in the several years since doing so I have cleaned the magnaclean every year and it is still collecting dross, Do you fit a new oil filter on your car every year or don't bother cos its an old car?

Of course it's worth doing, it may not help with any debris that has already lodged in the HEX/waterways but it'll certainly catch any new debris from making things worse.

Keep clearing it monthly until it starts to reduce what it catches.

Sponsored Links
One day you will need a new boiler.

Most new boiler maker's expect a magnetic filter when it is installed before they want to start the warranty cover.

So you might as well fit it now and probably you will be able to keep it clean enough that a further chemical clean may not even be needed when the new boiler is fitted.

If the water was very black then you should really have flushed it all out before adding the cleanser to the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back