Fitting Tee in Existing Pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit a tee into existing pipework which has no scope for movement along its axis. I propose to cut the pipe pull it to one side and slide the tee fully on at one cut end, cut the the other piece of pipe level with the other end of the tee and then slide the tee over the cut pipe and then tighten everything up. I estimate that this will give a 6mm length of pipe past the olive on each pipe. Anyone have any doubts about this rational or have done similar in the past. Cheers for any thoughts,

Sponsored Links
If you have clear pipe protruding past the olive on each side, you should be ok. Just make sure the fitting stays square with the pipe as its tightened.
The other way to do it would be to solder in a slip coupling along the pipe but if you're going that route you may as well solder in a T.

I may have misunderstood what you want to do, but don't forget that normal fittings have a stop at a certain depth for each entry point. What you need is a slip tee with no stop on the "straight through" leg. However, so far as I know you cannot get such a fitting. If this is the case you have two options:
1. As Elkato531 suggests, use a straight slip coupling to give you "wriggle" room, and an ordinary tee.
2. Use a normal tee and remove the stops on the straight through branch. If you are using compression tees, you can, with care, file out the stops. If you are using end feed solder fittings you need a metal rod the same size as the pipe, chamfer one end and hammer through the coupling to push the stops outwards.

Sponsored Links
Take a section of copper out and use slip couplings at each end with the tee fitted to the replacement pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back