Fixing a multi-piece ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Context: I recently installed a multi-piece fibrous plaster ceiling rose (i.e. not a complete disk but several independent pieces/leaves radiating outward), around a light fitting. The ceiling is lath and plaster, c. 1910. In the position where each piece would go, I scored the ceiling with a stanley knife to expose some plaster under the paint, and attached the pieces with plaster adhesive given to me by the firm that cast the rose (herculite fibrefix I think). I also put a drywall screw through each of the larger pieces for extra security.

Problem: I installed one of the main pieces/leaves skewed and only noticed afterwards. I reckon most people wouldn't notice but it bugs me every time I look at it, so I want to know if I can fix it easily without damaging the ceiling or the other parts of the rose / light fitting. I have a spare plaster leaf to replace the one in question. My plan is to remove the existing plaster leaf by taking out the screw and cutting carefully through the plaster adhesive between the piece and ceiling with a fine pad saw / keyhole saw or similar (rather than start hacking at it with chisels etc, which would damage other bits and take down some of the plaster on the ceiling with the piece I guess). Then I'll try to sand any remaining adhesive off the ceiling area, score it again, and put the new rose piece up - hopefully straight this time!

Does this sound like a workable plan? Would it be easy to saw through plaster adhesive? Would new plaster adhesive stick on a patch of ceiling where old adhesive had been? Any advice or new suggestions welcome.

Sponsored Links
Its sounds doable with care, a long thin spatula blade of the kind chefs use might assist removing the plaster leaf, a multi tool will help remove the adhesive. .If by some fluke you can remove the plaster in one piece, you might even be able to reuse the piece

Thanks. I'll check out the spatula blade. I don't have a multitool so was hoping to get through whatever adhesive was left with low-grit sandpaper and elbow grease. I'm guessing the plaster adhesive will be tougher than plaster, however. I think I'll have to cut the leaf down in sections in order to extract it without disturbing those around it, but this is okay as I have the spare.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back