Fixing cabinets through back panel with spacers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're halfway through a kitchen refit.

Our now ex-kitchen fitter has fitted units back to the wall with L plates, side panel to wall. I see from various videos that this is standard.

But when I took the old one out some of them were fitted through the back panel (the thick one at the top) with spacers between the panel and the wall.

I'd prefer to do that, as it give me the option of sliding units out in the event that I need to get at services.

Is that a viable approach, and are those spacers still available. They were white plastic tubes, basically.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
These will be the base units you are refering to, then.....nothing wrong with that technique, but I'd be using squares of timber maybe to spread the load....easier to get, probably easier to hold in place! Make the thickness the same dimension as the rear of the panel to the edge of the side, if you can follow that!
John :)

If the wall is uneven the spacer may have been used to keep everything true.
Using side wall is more secure as rear timbers can bow especially todays cheap and flimsy ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back