Fixing joist on steel beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a timber joist that will sit on a steel beam and will support a flat roof. It will also meet a pitched roof as shown in the picture below. I was wondering whether a screw would be adequate to prevent uplift or whether something like nails would be required? I would also put some blocking between the joists (not sure whether to do timber or my 7N medium dense blocks.

Screws would be easy as I have a mag drill, but hiring a gun would be costly and difficult as they would need to go in at an angle due to the bottom flange of the beam.

1719519556850.png

Sponsored Links
Can you drop the joist and fit between the flanges?

Can you drop the joist and fit between the flanges?
I would lose head height, need to remove and cut blocks, and have additional timber to raise the height, so I don't really want to do that. I may also need to rethink locations of pipes etc. It's a garage, so the additional height would allow more storage. I'm hoping that there would be an easy way to do this.

I have a timber joist that will sit on a steel beam and will support a flat roof. It will also meet a pitched roof as shown in the picture below. I was wondering whether a screw would be adequate to prevent uplift or whether something like nails would be required? I would also put some blocking between the joists (not sure whether to do timber or my 7N medium dense blocks.

Screws would be easy as I have a mag drill, but hiring a gun would be costly and difficult as they would need to go in at an angle due to the bottom flange of the beam.

View attachment 347440
If it's just holding down you're after, then just hook a short strap under the flange and fix it to a batten screwed to the side of the joist.

Sponsored Links
If it's just holding down you're after, then just hook a short strap under the flange and fix it to a batten screwed to the side of the joist.
I'm not sure what you're describing, but it sounds like it could be a good idea. What sort of straps do you mean?

I've also just had the idea of bolting timber (like a wallplate) to the underside of the steep and then using something like truss clips with twist nails. So it'll be like a wall plate but instead of resting on something solid, it'll be held up by the bolts. This would just limit my options slightly where the bolt heads are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back