Fixing newel posts on steel beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I want to install a glass balustrade on the landing upstairs. There are a few places to buy the glass and the top and bottom rails from, but I must provide the newel posts.

The balustrade runs directly over and along a steel beam. The newel posts will be fixed onto the steels. The floor is composed of 18mm wood flooring, 5mm underlay and 18mm ply. Total FFL, about 41mm over the steels.

I am not sure how to fix the newel posts (say 90mm x 90mm) onto the steels below. I am thinking of using metal brackets as I have drawn in the sketch. The posts are about 1m tall and not sure if those fixings will be strong enough.

If you have done anything similar please let me know how you did it.

Many thanks

Attachments

• balcony.png
    balcony.png
    35 KB · Views: 38
Sponsored Links
I'm thinking you need the local mobile welder to visit you. Have a look at metal post fixings.

Not my area but thats what I'd do

There are lots of "socketed post bases" on the internet and something like this could work, you could recess the base into the top layer of 18mm flooring using a multitool trimmer or the upstands could be flattened or removed so it sits flush to the floor. House the rod and bolt heads into the timber post and the rod could also be extended by adding a steel tube inside for more strength if needed....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back