Fixing Wooden Garden Gate to a Garage Wall - Best Options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I’ve got a garden gate (wooden) that I’m putting in. There is a 2.4m fence post that I am using on one side (will use postcrete to fix it in).

The other side of the gate will go against a garage wall. I’m trying to work out the best way of attaching it.

Do I put in another 2.4m fence post (100mm x 100mm) and postcrete it in in a way which lines up to the wall? I could also screw it into the wall but possibly overkill and won’t be easy to get through the wooden fence post.

Or a small size fence post which I postcrete and also screw in?

Or just a post which I fix to the wall (screw in) which isn’t placed in postcrete.

The hinges will attach to the fence post which is against the garage wall so the post will need to be big enough to place the hinges - and obviously will need to be able to hold the gate.

PS the gate is itself is a Fetheredge wooden gate - H1800 and W-975

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Fix a timber to the garage wall and fix the gate to that. Concrete screws would work but rawl bolts, through bolts or resin anchored threaded bar would be better

If using resin, i prefer to clear the hole of dust after drilling; if you don't have a pump or compressor with a suitable pipe you can do it manually - take a short length of tube (a drinks straw if you have nothing else) and poke it all the way into the drilled hole, take a deep breath, shut your eyes, and blow the dust out

Last edited:
The resin I linked to sticks to wet and even water filled holes.
I've just blow out dust and crack on. I have washed out floor holes and carried on.
It's good stuff

Sponsored Links
Forgot to say, if you're bolting, it looks better and is safer (no sharp edges to catch a shoulder on) if you use a spade bit to partially recess the wood so the nut/bolt is below the surface of the post. Use a washer too

1728117022294.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back