Flaking paint in a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The previous owners converted the old water tank cupboard in the bathroom into a space for a shower. Extractor fan fitted doing what it is supposed to do so I'm not worried about dampness or condensation.

When I was changing a bulb I stupidly picked at a bit of the emulsion paint and the little mark had become bigger :rolleyes: It looks like some of the paint isn't bonded to the new plaster particularly well.

I don't particularly want to repaint the entire ceiling just now so just want to touch up the area. Has anyone got any quick fixes for flaking paint in this situation?

Sponsored Links
If the paint is flaking in one small area, it will probably extend into a larger patch, so ideally it would be best to scrape and sand away the flaking areas. Once you have exposed the underlayers, you can apply a prime and repaint the area (once dried).

I don't particularly want to repaint the entire ceiling just now so just want to touch up the area. Has anyone got any quick fixes for flaking paint in this situation?

a quick bodge would be to carefully skim the patch with a lightweight filler, let dry and touch up with emulsion. one time filler is easy to use, quick drying and so easy to sand (if required) you can rub it away with your finger.

it will save you doing the whole ceiling for the moment as you request but it is a total bodge. it all needs scraping away and preparing properly.

If the paint is flaking in one small area, it will probably extend into a larger patch, so ideally it would be best to scrape and sand away the flaking areas. Once you have exposed the underlayers, you can apply a prime and repaint the area (once dried).

Is there a particular type of "prime" or would the remains of the tin of oil based primer I used on some wood do? (I might be tempted to thin it a bit to make sure the plaster drinks it in.)

Sponsored Links
i don't think an oil-based wood primer would be a good idea. the only time you would use oil-based paint on a ceiling or wall would be to cover persistant stains.

i would use a watered-down emulsion for the first coat. thinned down by about 25%.

i'm sure you could 'search' this topic for further advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back