Flat roof edging worry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have recently had some work carried out to an outbuilding at my new property and I have some concerns over the finish on the edging.

I have a background in building insurance so I am constantly seeing failed flat roofs and this has a few alarm bells ringing.

The exposed nails on the top layer worry me as i am expecting thermal movement to cause the seal around the nail to move/fail. I would have expected this layer to be bonded without roofing tacks on display?

Secondly as you can see from the photos the sheet doesn't seems fully bonded down to the edge. To my knowledge the adhesive should be applied all the way to the edge to stop any chance or wind or rain penetrating and causing damage?

Id like a second opinion to see if its just me being a little too paranoid.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Its supposed to be torch on felt.

Hope you havent paid for that.

If you are in the Building insurance game and have seen your share of faulty rooves, why are you on here asking?

most of the flat roofs I see as part of my work have failed due to age related wear and tear, don't see many due to initial faulty workmanship. So i usually only see the end result when its all falling apart rather than how it was to start with.

Thanks for the responses, it has given me the confidence I needed to complain and know i wasn't making a fuss over nothing. The roofer has now returned and resealed the roof properly to a standard i am happy with

Hmmm I should wait till its had a good downpour before parting with any money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back