Flat roof insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, any advice would be great.

We had a leak coming in our bathroom that sits inside the rear dormer under a flat roof the roof, felt has been replaced & leak was sorted.

I now need to replace the bathroom ceiling, it's a small room 2x2.5 m, if it was a bigger room I would get a contractor in. I would like to improve the insulation.

The house is late 60s to early 70s, Chalet style semi-detached with full length from and rear dormers. About half of the ceiling of the upstairs rooms 3 x bedrooms and a bathroom is under the flat roof, the rest is under the loft space.

I have concerns about if this is a cold or warm roof design.

Above the bathroom ceiling, there is an empty 120mm void between the joists/rafters. Above the joists, there is a layer of fibre insulation (1-2 cm thick) encased in weed-control-type material or maybe its vapour barrier. Directly above this is the flat roof deck. There are no obvious vents.

Can I fill this 120mm void ( leaving now empty space) between the ceiling and the 1-2 cm thick insulation under the deck with insulation boards then fit the new plasterboard?

Should I fit external vents and use 70mm of insulation board, leaving a 50mm void that can vent into loft space, then replace the plasterboard?

Should I use wool-based insulation?

Anything else i should do?

1719424282204.png

1719424293430.png

1719424304557.png

1719424323022.png

1719424336534.png

1719424353698.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back