Flat roof lateral restraint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to work out how to provide lateral restraint for the angled wall on the left (if it's required at all). I'm using metal web joists and it's only single storey.

1722623019483.png

On the TRA site (page 13 at in https://www.tra.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/tra_metal_joists__single_final.pdf), it shows a metal strap going into the blocks. However, if I did this then the 90 degree bend would stick out in the cavity and not sit flush against the wall. I don't know whether anybody else has had a similar situation or knows how to do it?

The roof designer pointed me to building control and build control said it's up to the principle designer . Maybe it's a structural engineer question? My gut feeling is that the joists will provide some lateral restraint as they are built into the wall, but would it be enough?

Also, are lateral restraint straps required on the shorter walls too e.g. the 2480 wall that runs parallel to the joists?

Sponsored Links
Those angled straps can be fairly easily bent to other angles greater or less than 90

Those angled straps can be fairly easily bent to other angles greater or less than 90
I did suggest that but the roof designer person advised against it because it may weaken them. Is this the done thing?

Sponsored Links
It's very hard to see lateral restraint on flat roofs on youtube etc. Is lateral restraint always required? Would my brick corners and steel beam act as lateral restraint? i.e. Can the restraint start 2m from the corners?

Not necessary for a single storey without a gable, just the twisted hold down straps will do on those three joists on splayed wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back