Flexible extracter hose

apl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I core holed out for an extract fan in the only place I could knowing it would be tight to the inside corner of my utility room, my plan was to open the hole up on the right hand side and use a flexible duct. I had to do this as there is a cast soil stack outside, do you think I will be able to do it this way thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sounds ok from the limited info - why do you ask? What are you concerned about?

Last edited:
Just worried if the flexible adapter will offset enough cheers .

Really, we need to know more, what are you trying to do? I had intended to bore a hole in my own utility room, however moving from vented, to heat pump drier, removed the need for it.

Any air pumped out, also needs some way for it to be replaced, and this is not as easy as it seems. Many pipes are really heat exchangers
1720326079932.png
so are both air in and air out, when used with an extractor. Even with only one fan, the idea is the depression in the room will drag air back. The problem I faced with the utility room was there was no return vent, so had to open the window for air to return into the room, so may as well put the pipe through the window of air out.

New double glazing includes a built-in vent, but my double glazing is old.

The whole idea of a vented drier is to draw in dry air. Air in the house is in the main wetter than air from outside, as the colder the air gets, the less moisture it can hold, so since air outside is in the main colder than air inside, we want clearly air from outside. The extractor outside bit
1720326959672.png
has a vent below it and one ahead, I think the below one is air in and ahead is air out, but with a tumble drier one needs a separate air in.

So until one knows why you want a vent, it is near impossible to answer, the window open did not really work, found the wall going mouldy, how water got in not a clue, there were large landers above the window, so unlikely to rain in.

The heat pump tumble drier uses less energy, but not much less, 2.5 hours at 600 watt v 1.5 hours at 1000 watt is not a big saving, however the utility room and kitchen are now both warmer. The condenser drier would not work, as the utility room is too small, so it would get very hot, and not really dry clothes that well as a result.

Sponsored Links
Hi the vent is for an extractor fan that the building inspector wants fitting as this room used to be my old kitchen and is part of the old footprint of the house & I’ve put an extension on the back of the house with a new kitchen which is totally separate to this room which I’m having as a utility room.

I mean that an extractor fan is not compulsory.

Is there not adequate ventilation in the building; especially as this room was a kitchen and now is just a utility room?

• Thanks
Reactions: apl
I thought that but the building’s inspector has asked for it he has even written it down, there is a brand new window with a trickle vent and also this is not part of the new extension as it was already existing room in the house to which I have changed the use of.

Yes, had the same problem in Flintshire, I fitted a fan in the ceiling and all the pipes and vents, and once I had the completion certificate it was switched off never to be used again. So even if the pipe is reduced to 1 inch² instead of 4 inch², as long as he hears the fan running, and the flaps open, it is good enough.

• Thanks
Extractor duct is like soil pipe, so you can use elbows to work round corners.

The rigid duct is much more durable, and cleaner as it does not trap dust and fluff, and you can give it a slight slope so any condensation runs outside.

I can't visualise why your layout is a problem, can you draw a sketch?

• Thanks
It is the Tory party.

You can make out some of the ex-MPs who threw in the towel before the inevitable election defeat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back