Flickering down lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people need advice

So during my house renovation had Aurora downlights installed . Got a BG dimmer switch 20 down lights

I have noticed my lights keep flicking when I turn them on and I have to adjust the light to stop them from flickering.

Sometimes they flicker all of a sudden for a minute then stop

What could be causing this ?

Rubbish dim switch ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240822-215151.png
    Screenshot_20240822-215151.png
    636 KB · Views: 33
  • PXL_20240816_210837469.jpg
    PXL_20240816_210837469.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links
Depends on the wattage of your 20 downlights.
Read the spec https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-...te/65335#product_additional_details_container
its sayeth maximum dimmable load (LED) is 50watts. So you probably exceeding the load limit.

Please be more informative about the set up. You say 20 downlights, but the photo is a two gang dimmer. How many on each half? What is the wattage load of each down light?.
I'm assuming that the downlights are dimmer-able?

I prefer the Varilight range. But you have to be careful , even with those. The V-PRO is limited to 10 LEDs.
For more than that you have to go for the more expensive V-COM series.
V-COM has various ranges:
15W - 180W (max. 20 LEDs). 15W - 220W (max. 26 LEDs). 20W - 300W (max. 30 LEDs)
V-COM is a leading edge dimmer. You need to check if that is compatible with your downlights.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice
So one half of the dimmer controls 11 down lights the other 9

The bulbs are led bulbs 220-240 v

Sponsored Links
A LED bulb can vary as to how it is made, the very basic bulb has a capacitor to control current, then a full wave rectifier to make it DC, and then another this time electrolyte capacitor to smooth the supply, a small leak resistor to let it switch off reasonably fast and stop any induced current in the AC supply keeping LED's on dim, and then the LED's, this works, but does not give the best lumen per watt, and makes them very voltage dependent and takes up room in the bulb, so the two bulbs shown here, both G9 bulbs, the capacitor in the larger bulb is nearly the size of the smaller bulb. G9-comp.jpgand typically G9 bulbs have covers, they were required with halogen bulbs, so it makes the whole lamp look very different with the larger bulb. The smaller bulb would stay on dim, and have a shimmer, the larger bulb worked A1.

The electronic switch I was using had a compatibility list and even using the bulb listed there was a problem. Bulbs often do not use the method described and use discreet components bulb inner1.png giving better control, shown is a E14 candle bulb, still needs the smoothing capacitor bulb inner2.png and it is pot luck as to the capacitor size. Some lamps are far more complex inside 20220603_113820.jpg it is not a simple design like the tungsten, and even in the days of tungsten some times the coil of the filament would end up forming a tuned circuit with the dimmer switch, causing both flicker and radio interference, today the chance of the two devices forming a tuned circuit is even greater.

So simple method is use dimmer unit and bulb from same manufacturer. Although Varilight dimmer switches do seem to have a good name, personally I use smart bulbs as these will also allow change of colour temperature as well, so have a better ambiance, and unless supper cheap, keep away from integral lamps, so one can change the bulb.

When we went through the CFL stage, dimmer switches would not work, so the method adopted is to switch on more or less lamps, often split 1/3 and 2/3 so there three levels of lighting, I have done this with my landing light fitted a smart relay in the lamp, so can select centre, outer or both. 1724406848086.png It does need some thought, want it so it looks as if designed that not all lamps are lit, living room the display cabinet and uplighters supplements the main light, must admit in the main down lights don't work very well, the light is absorbed by the carpet rather than reflected off the ceiling, but the dangly bits do spread the light.

A easy way with GU10 down lights is replace just some with smart bulbs, then you can turn selected lights down, or change colour, but main thing keep away from integral lamps.

I asked how many WATTS each one is! Volts don’t matter.
And, do both sets have the same problem?
I was surprised to find it seems to be bulb wattage rather than total wattage which seems to matter. I did not fit dimmer switches, but did fit smart switches which do not need a neutral. The instructions say minimum bulb size 5 watt, and the 2.3 watt G9 bulbs x 5 would not work without a shimmer, and had to fit a load capacitor load-capacitor.jpgto get them to switch off, the lamp Lindas Light.jpg was only one in house using G9 bulbs. With GU10 also had problems, but 15 GU10's around the house, so swapping bulbs around cured the problem.

Hi people need advice

So during my house renovation had Aurora downlights installed . Got a BG dimmer switch 20 down lights

I have noticed my lights keep flicking when I turn them on and I have to adjust the light to stop them from flickering.

Sometimes they flicker all of a sudden for a minute then stop

What could be causing this ?

Rubbish dim switch ?
Check the connections at the switch, if ok install trailing edge dimmer switch

Check the connections at the switch, if ok install trailing edge dimmer switch
Agreed. The dimmer you have is leading edge. Check the spec of your downlights. Many are happier with training edge dimmer.
Varilight is my go to dimmer of choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back