Floor joist has dropped sunk due toexposure to water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, need some advice as the floor joist has sunk causing the floor to drop visible at point of skirting.
20240922_110410.jpg
20240922_110422.jpg

1, joist has dropped from one end where it is exposed to water whenever it rains, it is the joist closest to the wall and in the image where you can see the cable coming out, it is that end from where it has dropped

2, I am not sure how to tackle this any advice is welcome, just want th easiest way of doing this.

I have uploaded some pictures to help

Sponsored Links
There is a problem if water is reaching the joists after rain. Identify and remedy the cause of its ingress., Then identify if the joist end can be treated, or if it needs dead and rotten wood to be removed, in which case you may need to "sister" the old and the short replacement length of joist with new timber and fit the end into a joist hanger. It may be worth getting a builder to advise and quote for the work.

There's nothing can be done interms of stopping the water as the shared houses ha e the same problem due a well not far from the house which causes the flooding in the basement/cellar

Sponsored Links
To replace the joist, and put some preventative membrane to give it a fighting chance as talking to water suppliers and council I have been told nothing can be done currently to prevent the large amounts of water I am seeing during rainy periods

Back