Floorplan advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
We're currently looking at a house and are unsure what wed do with the downstairs layout. The current ground floor makes the house feel small and I think as a family of 5 it would be slightly too small for us. We have money to extend and reconfigure but just unsure what would be best. I think we'd add an extention on the back off the current lounge and a porch at the front. How would you do it? Open to any suggestions :) Thankyou
Screenshot_20240711-183700_Rightmove.jpg

Sponsored Links
what have other properties got at the front , you maybe restricted on what you can put up along the building line
Has the property been extended at all already , I know a friend was planning on extending his house under permitted development - BUT it had already been extended twice and so they got stopped - DONT know the full details - just something to be aware of
I'm sure other more knowledagble members will reply

How does the bathroom overhang the downstairs

what have other properties got at the front , you maybe restricted on what you can put up along the building line
Has the property been extended at all already , I know a friend was planning on extending his house under permitted development - BUT it had already been extended twice and so they got stopped - DONT know the full details - just something to be aware of
I'm sure other more knowledagble members will reply

How does the bathroom overhang the downstairs
Thanks for your reply.
The property is different from those around it so its hard to say what others have done. It has been extended yes. That's a good point, thankyou. What about a conservatory instead of an extension? Does that have to adhere to the same rules?
The downstairs has a pillar outside under the bathroom with a small overhang. I quite like that feature!

If you were my client I'd want to know specifically what you wanted to achieve in extending, on the face of it you seem to have a five bedroom house so what do you want to achieve, what's your budget? On the face of it extending off the back the existing office/bedroom 4 with a two story extension to create a decent kitchen/diner at ground floor (utility where the existing kitchen is) and an additional good sized bedroom above, existing bedroom 4 becomes an office is the one that immediately jumps out.

Or maybe mirror all of that, the existing living room gets extended and turned into a kitchen/diner, open up the ground floor access to allow through to access the bedroom4 rooms. on the left, avoids the need for a porch.

Squeeze a downstairs loo into the layout no matter what.

You need to employ a decent designer of you can't come up with ideas yourself. I could spend a couple of hours on this and come up with half a dozen or so ideas.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back