Flume only 200mm above ground and needs to be resited?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment my present boiler is in the cellar and the flume vents to the outside world at about 200 mm above ground level. My heating engineer wants to move it up to the kitchen so that it will clear this height and charge me for it.

What I want to know is a)can I dig the ground out so that the flume will be above the 300mm or b)the easiest option if possible would be to buy a flume kit that would come out of the wall horizontally and then turn 90 vertically up so that the required height is achieved. Is this possible? My HE says no and I just want to clarify.

thanks

Sponsored Links
IF (and only if) your boiler manufacturer offers a plume kit for your particular boiler, that seems the best option, from your description.

The point of having a flue terminal or plume-discharge high up is to avoid affecting something or someone. As a rule of thumb, discharge above 'head-height' is preferable; going from 200mm to 300mm may then meet manufacturer's requirements but it's the minimum, and not usually very satisfactory in practice.

croydoncorgi said:
IF (and only if) your boiler manufacturer offers a plume kit for your particular boiler, that seems the best option, from your description.

The point of having a flue terminal or plume-discharge high up is to avoid affecting something or someone. As a rule of thumb, discharge above 'head-height' is preferable; going from 200mm to 300mm may then meet manufacturer's requirements but it's the minimum, and not usually very satisfactory in practice.

I take your point about min height and preferable above head height, however the discharge is in the back garden and not near anything that would be affected by it i.e. a path or window.

Can you give me a clue to which manufacturers do such plume kits. I know Vokera do a plume kit but that is only for the discharge side and not the input.

how about you tell us what boiler you have and maybe someone will know or dig around to find out. :idea:

Sponsored Links
The other reason for the minimum height aboveground is to avoid debris on the ground blowing into the inlet. (Plume kits ONLY carry the outlet).
Tell us what boiler it is!

Sorry, but I don't think I made myself clear in the first post but I would like a new boiler putting in so as of yet we haven't decided on what make of boiler. Any recommendations would be very helpful.

thanks for clearing up the fact that plume kits only work on the discharge.

If you go for a good (ie. more expensive) boiler such as Atag, you can run the stainless steel flue and polythene inlet of the twin flue system up the outside wall as high as you like!

BUT flues for cheaper boilers and most concentric flue systems are usually not qualified for use exposed to weather, etc.

What I have done in the past (in the absence of a plume kit! WB please note!) is run a 100/125 concentric flue through the wall, up the outside for 2 metres or so, then elbow out to set the terminal horizontal, then box the whole thing in up to the terminal, using weatherproofed marine ply. OK - this SOUNDS like an absolutely ridiculous thing to do but if you've got a floor-mounted boiler under a worktop, what other option do you have???

Just thought of a solution which would mean rerouting just the flue upstairs through the ceiling and into the kitchen and then out into the back garden. This would be a cheaper option than having to resite the boiler itself. Again this would mean a flue kit but I think I can do it this way.

many thanks for all your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back