Free Standing Dimmer To Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am lighting a stage and have bought 5 150w halogen work lamps. I have wired them to three pin plugs and that is fine. What I want to do is wire to individual dimmer switches as well. What do I need for that and how is it done. I have the individual dimmer switches with 200w loads and I have the three core wire. Diagram and advice appreciated.

Alan

Sponsored Links
Linear halogen lamps should not be dimmed !

And where is this stage - is it in a place where competance is required to carry out electrical work ?

So, the Panto season is here again........

When lighting an 'Am-dram' production it's always cheaper to hire the proper lighting and dimmer/fade-out rack (from any number of theatrical lighting suppliers). It's just not cost-effective to cobble together a load of halogen lights and individual dimmers.

Lucia.

Sponsored Links
So, the Panto season is here again........When lighting an 'Am-dram' production it's always cheaper to hire the proper lighting and dimmer/fade-out rack (from any number of theatrical lighting suppliers). It's just not cost-effective to cobble together a load of halogen lights and individual dimmers. Lucia.

Can also mean the difference between the licencing department allowing or not allowing the performance to go ahead.

Losing an under run halogen lamp during the play can be dramatic.

They can make a big bang. If you use them make sure the front transparent material of the lamp holder is strong enough to take an exploding lamp and will prevent molten globules of glass landing on the leading lady or any other member of cast and / or audience.

Oh bernard! Don't be such a scaremonger/drama-queen! Exploding lamps and 'big bangs' indeed!

Buttons: " Hello boys and girls, I'm going to hang my hat on this hook. If you see anyone trying to steal it, just shout Buttons! Buttons! - and I'll be on quick as a flash"......

Lucia.

Oh bernard! Don't be such a scaremonger/drama-queen! Exploding lamps and 'big bangs' indeed!

Perhaps I am scare mongering. But better aware of what might happen.

It has happened on TV a couple of times. Gets edited out most of the time but presenters have been seen to jump with fright when it has happened on live shows.

Even ignoring all issues of whether linear halogens should or should not be dimmed, will or will not explode, are or are not cost effective, this:
And where is this stage - is it in a place where competance is required to carry out electrical work ?
is a major concern, as the OP does not appear to possess anywhere near enough competence to be doing electrical work in premises open to the public.

Which is more or less what I said earlier, flameport.

But, I rather think that the O/P, having already incurred some expense, might be determined to press on with his original idea.

I love amateur productions almost the same as highly-polished West End productions - there's always the excitement and anticipation of the DIY electrics failing or the leading lady fluffing her lines......

Lucia

Going by your original post, Oakfield, you weren't that wise to start with. So, anything you've read here could only serve to enlighten you.

Are you determined to follow your original DIY idea?

Lucia.

Why is it that so many people in this world just want to kick others? What is your problem? Why do you want to make sarcastic remarks when someone just asks a simple question?

I'm not sure they necessarily want to kick you, but on any forum such as this a lot of people can express themselves quite forcefully.. . perhaps not least because they're not present and there're no names, no pack drill, no comebacks. Leaving aside the kicks, I'd suggest there are some valid points for you to take on board - regulatory issues, practical technical ones, health and safety, and the possibility to get proper equipment to do what you're trying to reinvent.

In answer to your original question, yes, you can get in-line dimmers to wire in between your plug and your light fitting. Whether they'll fulfill your requirements and whether it's the right thing to do is another matter.

PJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back