Fridge Making Noise in New Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got a new extension built to replace a dilapidated conservatory. But now I can hear a low, throbbing humming sound coming from the fridge in that new room.

The existing kitchen extension the new garden room was built onto, had an external door that was not bricked up. The fridge is backed right up against that external door, which was just covered over with plasterboard in the new room. The kitchen cabinetry forms a kind of accoustic soundbox around the fridge.

Is there an easy way to deaden the sound? Some kind of accoustic panneling between the back of the fridge and the plasterboard in the new extension room?

Its not loud, but when its quiet and I'm relaxing, its just loud enough to be annoying.

Sponsored Links
From your description it sounds like the fridge is touching plaster board that is covering a door that is still hung in a casing.That will act as a sound box/speaker and amplify any noise the fridge makes. If that is the case the easiest solution I can think of to try is to get a can of expanding foam, poke a hole in the plasterboard where it seems to be the most hollow ( tap it with your fingers ) and squirt some expanding foam in to muffle any vibrations.

Move the fridge forward a few millimetres so that it isn't touching the plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
Brick the door up properly, get proper sound and fireproofing.

Squirting expanding foam in a confined cavity might just make it burst open in an explosion of sticky goo.

I got a new extension built to replace a dilapidated conservatory. But now I can hear a low, throbbing humming sound coming from the fridge in that new room.

The existing kitchen extension the new garden room was built onto, had an external door that was not bricked up. The fridge is backed right up against that external door, which was just covered over with plasterboard in the new room. The kitchen cabinetry forms a kind of accoustic soundbox around the fridge.

Is there an easy way to deaden the sound? Some kind of accoustic panneling between the back of the fridge and the plasterboard in the new extension room?

Its not loud, but when its quiet and I'm relaxing, its just loud enough to be annoying.
Bass noise is difficult to overcome. The one reliable way to prevent noise travel is to increase mass. Dense heavy materials will fare better than anything light and hollow. A damper under the fridge feet may help.

Fridges make all kind of hokey noises, perfectly normal, the reality is you probably just didn't hear it before.

I believe What jj4091 said describes what is likely occuring here:
From your description it sounds like the fridge is touching plaster board that is covering a door that is still hung in a casing.That will act as a sound box/speaker and amplify any noise the fridge makes.
With the fridge being in its own cabinet (see pictures), its likely adding to the sound box effect.

I have attached more pictures: one showing the new extension under construction with the external door - now covered with plasterboard. The others showing the fridge in its cabinet.

Looks like there's a piece of wood jammed between the back of the fridge and the door. That might be causing excess vibration and noise, if it connects with the plasterboard.

I could try pulling the fridge out a bit to see if that causes it to not connect with the plasterboard. Its difficult moving it by myself and with the fridge full of food.

Attachments

• 20231117_085341.jpg
    20231117_085341.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0442.JPG
    IMG_0442.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0443.JPG
    IMG_0443.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 35
Fridges make all kind of hokey noises, perfectly normal, the reality is you probably just didn't hear it before.
That's a fair point.

But the sound of the fridge from within the kitchen is perfectly normal and not noticable. However, when I go into the new extension, it transforms into a more low, vibrating bass sound - it is this which I find annoying. Its got to be something to do with the fridge vibrating the plasterboard or something; the cabinets also acting like a sound box. Either way, from within kitchen or new extension, its not a loud noise - just different.

Removing all the freezer drawers is easy, the fridge contents shouldn't take much longer, remove the drawers too, they're glass so heavy, should make it easier to move, though kinda made a rod for your own back installing it like that, gonna always need a makeshift shelf to slide it out onto.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back