Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this CU rated for external use?

1726999397672.png

Sponsored Links
I must admit I have looked at caravan hook up units
1727004689384.png
and clearly designed for outside use, but seems little protection against the weather.
1727004863752.png
is this any better than unit shown? I would mount them in something like a bird feeder so the unit is not in direct rain, but seen them out in weather and seem to work OK.

I must admit I have looked at caravan hook up units View attachment 356347and clearly designed for outside use, but seems little protection against the weather. View attachment 356349 is this any better than unit shown? I would mount them in something like a bird feeder so the unit is not in direct rain, but seen them out in weather and seem to work OK.
I stayed on a site owned by an "electrician" around the chemical disposal area were a couple of bulkhead fittings, they were wired via round Ashley indoor JB, rather that using the correct kit he had built a small wooden shelter around it,a bit like a bird house. As an aside the toilet shed had a red light on to indicate occupancy and on the back of the door was a photo of the owners beaming down on you as you went about your business

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Certainly not.
Even the ones that claim to be and have seals around the cover are not.

Consumer units go inside the property. This trend created by the EV slingers shoving them on exterior walls needs to stop.
Completely agree, wonder how many have had the cover smashed off with kids playing football.

Certainly not.
Even the ones that claim to be and have seals around the cover are not.

Consumer units go inside the property. This trend created by the EV slingers shoving them on exterior walls needs to stop.
Those CPN things are only IP65. Not enough, IMO.

You can buy a meter cabinet, which provides quite good protection for equipment inside it. The triangular keylock can be changed to a camlock or other.

Weatherproof steel cabinets are quite a lot more expensive.

I'm sure there must be a market for redundant street cabinets used by utility companies, but I never see any old ones on sale. Gone for scrap, I suppose.

The sockets can be used outside at IP44.

However the circuit breakers, RCD and any other protective devices cannot, as they will not be rated to be installed in locations which have extremes of temperature and humidity.
The presence of a cover over them changes nothing as at some point it will be opened, and even the most well sealed enclosure outdoors will inevitably get moisture and condensation in it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back