Gap above timber windows and door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone knows if the gap between the window and metal lintel is intentional and what function does it serve? I guess it helps to vent any dampness. The house builder had filled the gap above the back door with mortar. The gap above windows were left open. Any problems for me to seal that? It will help a tiny bit with thermal and sound insulation. Thanks.

window-gap.png

Sponsored Links
It's a cavity weep vent above the lintel - don't seal it, or you'll get damp issues.
The detail looks something like...
1722802231612.png

...or have I misread?
Sorry, you mean the gap between the frame and the lintel, which can be filled.

I am talking about the horizonal gap under the lintel. Is it just bad workmanship the gap is there?

No answer suggests the gap is permissible and probably useful during construction to help drying the window area. It's not so great post construction since the gap allows outside air to come into contact with the back of the plasterboards in the window recess. It is still useful if there is risk of the window timber getting wet from leaks. I am taking a gamble and sealing it.

gap-filled.png

Sponsored Links
Hi, I think what you did looks great, well done!

Would you mind sharing what material you used to fill the gap, and how you achieved the same colour (with the existing mortar)?

I have a similar gap to yours (ie. between top of UPVc patio door frame and bottom of metal lintel) and I plan to use expanding foam in the hope that it will help with heat and noise insulation.

What I am trying to decide, is whether to use silicone or a mortar mix to then seal the expanding foam.

A couple of photos attached: the first shows the gap (and on the right, the edge of the previous mortar), and the second shows the previous mortar that cracked in places and I have now removed completely.

Many thanks,
Sol

Attachments

• lintel.jpg
    lintel.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 10
  • thumbnail_IMG_8848.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8848.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 9

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back