Gap between coving and tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my bathroom I have a small gap on one wall where the tiles meet the coving (I'm guessing due to settlement). Looks like the grout has maybe cracked and fallen out.
1000007881.jpg
(See photos).
Just wondering what would be best to fill the gap please?
1000007879.jpg

Attachments

• 1000007882.jpg
    1000007882.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 12
Sponsored Links
Masking along wall near coving.
Masking along coving.
Run white polymer along.
Run finger along.
Pull tape
Run finger along for the final time.
When dry (24h) use waterbased paint over the polymer and coving.

When I used to stick coving over tiles I used bal white star adhesive on the bottom edge, so the coving stuck to the tiles.

Morning Emma!
I find this product one of the very best:
And yes, I need to get out more!
John :)

Sponsored Links
How well will that stick to tiles in a high moisture area?
I've not used it so I don't know

A million dollar question I guess but it is recommended for external use too......I've used it in a shower with very low height clearance and it's still there!
I did clean the tiles with meths first.
The fibrous content makes for good flexibility, but it does dry smooth.

Thanks everyone for your speedy responses. I take it that decorators caulk wouldn't be an option? (I have a tube in the house). I also have filler that is a powder that you add water to.

Last edited:
Give it a try! You can always rake it out again if it cracks (unlikely). The tubed stuff is much easier and less messy.
Regards

Morning Emma!
I find this product one of the very best:
And yes, I need to get out more!

Sorry @Burnerman but Flex and Fill is not designed to be a final gap filler. I use it a lot. Good product.

As you stated, it is like a caulk with fibres that reinforce it. I use it for filling cracks in plaster. It shrinks back and then I use other fillers over the top.

I genuinely respect your plumbing advice, but in this case, I would go @Wayners recommendation of a MS polymer. Any kind of caulk, including Flex and Fill risks becoming black in areas of high moisture.

Again, I do respect your advice otherwise.

That's fine! Expertise always welcome!
I have to say I haven't noticed any shrinkage - maybe I was just lucky.
Emma should follow your advice rather than mine.
regards

That's fine! Expertise always welcome!
I have to say I haven't noticed any shrinkage - maybe I was just lucky.
Emma should follow your advice rather than mine.
regards

Thank you for not taking umbrage. All caulks will shrink back, typically, they will do so after about 24 hours.

The MS polymers recommended by @Wayners will not shrink back and should not allow mould to penetrate.

From memory, I think I recall you recommending BT1, that would be ideal.

Sorry @Burnerman but Flex and Fill is not designed to be a final gap filler. I use it a lot. Good product.

As you stated, it is like a caulk with fibres that reinforce it. I use it for filling cracks in plaster. It shrinks back and then I use other fillers over the top.

I genuinely respect your plumbing advice, but in this case, I would go @Wayners recommendation of a MS polymer. Any kind of caulk, including Flex and Fill risks becoming black in areas of high moisture.

Again, I do respect your advice otherwise.
Thanks for the advice - is there a certain one you would recommend? Alternatively if I use the powder filler that I add water too then paint it would that be ok? Thanks

Thanks for the advice - is there a certain one you would recommend? Alternatively if I use the powder filler that I add water too then paint it would that be ok? Thanks

Again, as per @Wayners ' post. I would recommend something like CT1 or BT1- both are made by the same company.

The powder based fillers will be difficult to apply without straying on to the tiles, that said, you could use use a sponge to smooth it.

Again, as per @Wayners ' post. I would recommend something like CT1 or BT1- both are made by the same company.

The powder based fillers will be difficult to apply without straying on to the tiles, that said, you could use use a sponge to smooth it.
Great, thanks so much for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back