Gap between wall and skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey

I’ve read some threads on here and seen various recommendations. I’m not sure which to go with. Most of the threads are for quite large gaps. My gaps max out at 5-7mm. Would I go with caulk or would you recommend using some toupret or easifill? I couldn’t work out from the other threads what the rationale was behind each solution. Obviously my main priority is avoiding cracks and having to repaint

It’s standard plastered walls and softwood skirting. It’ll be painted in white water based satinwood (crown quick dry).

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Skirting solid with no movement?
I used to fill a gaps like yours with foam. This will stick skirting so stopped movement.
I have also drilled a hole in skirting to blast form in packing out and fixing it.
Fill over foam with toupret.
Sand
Paint.

If skirting is solid fill with toupret.
Sand
Paint.

You can fill then caulk or use a polymer so it moves a bit without cracking but caulk eventually dries out and cracks.
Polymer is better and lasts way longer but eventually that may start to fail.

I preferred foam and fillers. In 6 years a dig and another fill and paint is way easier to deal with than mastics

Skirting solid with no movement?
I used to fill a gaps like yours with foam. This will stick skirting so stopped movement.
I have also drilled a hole in skirting to blast form in packing out and fixing it.
Fill over foam with toupret.
Sand
Paint.

If skirting is solid fill with toupret.
Sand
Paint.

You can fill then caulk or use a polymer so it moves a bit without cracking but caulk eventually dries out and cracks.
Polymer is better and lasts way longer but eventually that may start to fail.

I preferred foam and fillers. In 6 years a dig and another fill and paint is way easier to deal with than mastics
Thanks Wayners. Yeah it’s pretty solid with no movement. I’ve plug and screwed them and on some smaller pieces just gripfilled them. Couple of the big sections may have a little bit of give but can get some foam in those bits no problem.

Does toupret crack less than caulk then? I assumed it wasn’t flexible so would crack quicker. We are talking about the standard quick dry plaster filler toupret make?

I’m looking to sell the house next year so as long as it lasts longer than that I’m not too precious. Plus I’ve got loads of caulk given how cheap it is.

I’ve been using the two pack to fill over the countersunk screws but sanding them back makes it obvious where the circle that’s been filled is. Any tips for filling over the skirt and sanding so that doesn’t happen? I guess I’m going too hard with the mouse sander but would appreciate some tips.

Sponsored Links
Fill first.
Undercoat filler.
Run caulk along.
Paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back