garage electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had my little gaff rewired to what I could afford. How could I fit a light and socket in the garage? The new mains and other boxes are in the garage.
Thanks. L.

Sponsored Links
if the consumer unit is in the garage, this should be really easy.
spur the lighting off of the lighting circuit at the mcb. how to do this items are all over this site.
if you only want a double socket spur directly out of an existing ring mcb. if you want two - 5 doubles , fit a new ring just fo the garage on a new trip in a blank slot in the consumer unit.

I would use two separate MCB for garage wiring. One at 16 or 20A for radial 2.5mm wiring. The other at 6A for lighting 1mm cable. Use pull switch for lighting as often easier to get at than wall switch. Ensure you have a 30mA Residual Current circuit breaker for consumer unit for personal safety. If you have no more room in existing consumer unit, new ones are not expensive.

In practice have any number of sockets. Would only need a ring if demand will be greater than 20A but less than 30A.

Sponsored Links
Is it necessary/legal to have a seperate consumer unit inside the actual garage, or could i use 2 seperate MCB's in the consumer unit inside the house, 1 for garage lighting (6A) and 1 for sockets (32A)??

No reason to have a seperate consumer unit for the garage, unless the house one is full and cannot fit any more MCBs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back